What's new

Bi-wiring more taxing on an amp? (1 Viewer)

Troy TN

Stunt Coordinator
I have Klipsch RF-7's and an Anthem MCA 30 amp and I was wondering if bi-wiring causes more strain on an amplifier? I have also read that bi-wiring has no real sonic improvements and it actually has negative effects on stereo imaging and overall soundstage?

Can anyone comment on the postives and negatives of bi-wiring vs a single run of speaker wire?

Why do so many speaker manufacturors have the bi-wire ability on them if there is no real sonic improvements.

I have read elsewhere its purely a placebo effect with no real reasons to do it.

Someone must have good/bad experiances with bi-wiring. Maybe its a way to get us to buy more speaker wire :)

Troy

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I don't see why it would put a strain on an amp. As for sonic benefit vs. placebo, that's a debate that has been going on for decades, so I won't go there :) You should be able to find enough discussions on it if you go to Google Groups and search the archives of the RAHE newsgroup - rec.audio.high-end.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
It increases the gauge of the wire. Klipsh's own internal position is that it provides no sonic benefit for their speakers. As to why they have the option, well its inexpensive to implement and it's to keep up with the Joneses. Certainly Klipsh wouldn't want to lose a sale because someone liked their speakers but this option wasn't available. Makes good economic sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.