Bi-Wiring for Rear In-Wall Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Cynthia Binder, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Cynthia Binder

I am renovating a home and have the walls open to the studs. I am installing a home theater (first one) and have purchased B&W speakers. I will be using 805s on the rears.

These are set up to bi-wire and my runs need to be about 45 feet each in order to get them in the walls. I would appreciate recommendations on a good, fairly reasonably priced solution (under $250 for the pair).

Also, if I prewire for 7.1, what wire would be a good choice for the rear center and side speakers?

Thanks for your help.

Cynthia

2. ross ish

ross ish Stunt Coordinator

with the rather limited amount of info being sent into the rear channels, bi wiring may be an overkill whose objective potential will never be realized. the b&w 805 sound fine when not bi-wired so it may be an expense that is not really needed.

if you are tweaking your system for the utmost in audiophile quality, than you would want to bi-wire with some expensive cables. no use going the biwire route with cheap cables, kind of defeats the purpose.

for rears, monster cable makes an adequate wire that is cl in wall rated and is twisted pairs; meaning the twist will help in limiting rf interference; something to consider when making long runs. also shoot for at min 14guage.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Quite probably your local building code may specify wire that is CL2/3 rated in order to meet existing fire codes.

I'm sure you're aware that biwiring is an enormously speculative issue. Now if I told you that manufacturers incorporate biwiring primarily to satisfy market demand and to ensure that those who desire the feature aren't alienated, you might of might not believe me. In fact, you may be of the mindset that you just want to cover all bases and it just can't hurt. Fair enough. Let's get you there in a cost effective manner.

First let's begin by considering the following link that discusses the overall gauge of wiring needed. Let's assume that your total run is going to be 50 feet (this allows for slack in the wall should you ever need additional length for whatever reason).

0.1/50 = 0.002

The loop resistance for 10 gauge is 2*0.00118 = 0.0024 which is pretty close to our target. Therefore, if you're set in your mind to biwire, consider something like two runs of 12 gauge in-wall material. This gives you an effective gauge of 9.

There are many sources of in-wall wire. One example is Carol brand over at
    PartsExpress where you'll find 100 feet going for about $17 while the 500 foot roll will set you back about $88. Depending upon how your runs are going to be, choose the one that makes more sense.

You may want to consider some wall plates like the ones here which can give your HT a nice finished look. Then simple run the wire the way that works for you. Spades to the speakers, bananas to the amp and wall plates...whatever you feel comfortable with.

In all honesty, selecting the speaker placement with respect to your sitting position and then balancing the whole thing is more difficult and more rewarding than agonizing over biwiring. Enjoy and hope you post some pics of your finished project [​IMG]