Bi-Wiring Cable Differences

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ron_kolarovic, Feb 12, 2002.

1. ron_kolarovic

ron_kolarovic Auditioning

My front L/R are boston acoustics which are bi-wire capable but presently they are not wired as such - I have 12 gauge cable to each.

The question is: should the same type of cable be used ( 12 gauge ) if I was to convert to bi-wiring, or could the high frequency wire be a lighter gauge ?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Ron. Welcome to HTF.[​IMG]
    Short Answer: it probably does not matter, but following the theory, the high-frequency wire should be thicker, and the low-frequency wire thinner.
    Long Answer: A long run of speaker wire will "slant" the sound. It will reduce the higher frequency sounds, but leave the lower-frequency sounds alone.
    This is why some speaker sites recommend:
    1-10 ft: 16 ga
    10-20 ft: 14 ga
    20+ ft: 12 ga
    The thicker wire reduces, but does not eliminate this effect.
    With your short runs, it likely does not matter. But the higher-frequency sounds are affected by the wire thickness so it should have the 12 ga.

3. ron_kolarovic

ron_kolarovic Auditioning

Ok, the next question is - why ?

Assuming the high & low frequency loads are in the same range of impedance ( 8 ohms nominal ) why would the thicker ( 12 guage ) be better for the higher frequencies ? If anything, I would have though the reverse. The thicker, lower resistance cable to the low frequency ( woofer ) load to reduce the distortion from damping factor considerations, which would be less pronounced than with the high frequency load.

4. brucek

brucek Second Unit

ron,

The frequency dependant resistance (reactance), is as a result of the capacitance and inductance of speaker wire.

The capacitance creates such a small effect it can essentially be ignored, but the inductive reactance can be significant in longer speaker runs and is indeed a factor in "rolling" off of upper frequencies. This is as a result of the series reactance increasing as the frequency increases. Interestingly, inductance changes very little with gauge, so changing to a thicker or thinner wire would have little effect in this respect. Generally, inductance is altered by geometry. You'll see a few companies getting creative with interweaving their wires and altering the inductance as a result.

Considering the cable by itself, the simple DC resistance (DCR) of a cable has an equal effect on all frequencies and results in a "power loss", in the form of heat. This loss increases with length and also wire thickness, with greater loss in a thinner wire. But this is considering the cable with a purely resistive load, which a speaker isn't. The impedance curve of a speaker is far from linear. If we use a sufficiently small speaker wire such that it becomes an appreciable portion of the speakers impedance you can create a significant non-linear response. Don't go this route. Generally though, the gauge of speaker cable will affect system damping and power loss in the wire.

Either way, I would recommend that the 12 gauge wire you are using is sufficient. If you're looking for a positive thing to do, you could change to 10 gauge or make your speaker wires shorter. This will increase your system damping factor. There's really no scientific support for bi-wiring, only anecdotal evidence. Don't waste your money.

brucek