What's new

Bi-wiring Bookshelf's with a sub. (1 Viewer)

Pete Gregar

Auditioning
I am working on getting a page with a list of equipment.
This is where I am at so far.
http://members.surfbest.net/gregarpp...audio/list.htm
I ordered a JBL PB-10 sub and I currently have a pair of Infinity IL-10's (they have bi-wiring terminals)
I really want to limit the low frequencies to these speakers, and utilize the base in my new sub.
(I currently use a similiar setup in my car, but my car receiver has a sub output and crossover to limit the bass)
My home receiver doesn't have a sub output, nor a crossover.
I will have to run the speaker wire direct to the sub, then out of the sub into the IL-10's. I would guess I could use the sub's crossover to limit the bass to the IL-10's.
Is there something I could do with the bi-wiring?
Wire the high's direct to the receiver.
Wire the low's to the sub. (give me midrange, but filter the very low's)
I am rather new to all this... and would like some suggestions!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Welcome to HTF :D
*edit - it appears you are talking about the Onkyo and not the Sony. Yes, you can use the speaker level output to do the x-over for the 1L10s, but your sub will provide no power to your speakers, it only loops the filtered signal, so you would still be powering them with your receiver.
My recommendation is to sell the 985 and take a look at the offerings from Marantz, Denon, Onkyo, or Harmon Kardon in the same price range.

Pete Gregar

Auditioning
I was refering to the Onkyo.

I understand the power is coming from the receiver.
But it also says it has a crossover. So the sub will effect the sound.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The IL10 already has an internal x-over, so looping the sub's x-over to one driver versus both, with the power coming from the same source, will not buy you anything. The lower frequencies will stil be filtered out for the mid, but the tweeter already didn't care because it would never have seen frequencies below it's x-over point.

Pete Gregar

Auditioning
So there is no gain from bi-wiring?

I should route the left and right speaker wires into the sub, then route the same wires out of the sub and into the speakers.

thanks!

Steve Zimmerman

Second Unit
No benefit to biwiring even with speakers costing 10x as much if you ask me. Nor passive biamping.

That's just me and my experience.

--Steve

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
My home receiver doesn't have a sub output, nor a crossover. I will have to run the speaker wire direct to the sub, then out of the sub into the IL-10's. I would guess I would use the sub's crossover to limit the bass to the IL-10's.
Right. Speaker output -> sub -> speaker inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks