1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Bi-Wiring and my receiver clipping out?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NatL, Oct 17, 2002.

1. NatL

NatL Stunt Coordinator

I have a Denon AVR-2700. I just purchased Acoustic Research AR9 tower speakers. I thought it was best to bi-wire speakers, so I did so.

But then when I turned the sound up the receiver clipped out. I'd have to turn it back on and the sound down to keep it from doing so.

When I removed the bi-wire from the receiver, the problem stopped happening.

My father has a similar problem with his AVR-3200. I solved the problem by running a ground wire (seemingly). His problem only sprang up after years of good, consistent use. Then it happened all the time. I presume his would also go away by removing the bi-wire.

Why would this problem be happening? (Especially where my father's was working fine for a long time first).

N

2. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

Sounds like a short. Clipping is amplifier distortion, it should not (unless severe) put the receiver into protection mode. Did you remove the jumpers connecting the top and bottom plugs on the speaker?

I hope I am understanding you.

-rob

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

certainly sounds like the possibility of a short. keeping the jumpers on should have no effect. what kind of connections are you making on both ends?

4. NatL

NatL Stunt Coordinator

I did not remove the jumpers. I am using banana plugs on the receiver end and not on the other (just puting them into the binding post and securing).

N

5. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

Remove the jumpers !

Whenever you bi-wire or bi-amp for that matter, the jumpers must be removed. See your manual for the speakers and look for the section about bi-wiring.... it is usually found under the "WARNING!" notice.

BOK

6. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Also after removing the jumpers make sure your +'s & -'s are correct at the amp and at the speaker hook ups.
    As stated above, even with the jumpers in place it should not be putting the receiver in protect or shut down. You just loose the supposed advatages of bi-wiring....
    With the (jumpers in place and bi-wiring), if just one + or - is in the wrong place this could have been causing the problem. A dirict short would be taking place and if this was the case, I am suprised that it even played at all with out shutting down.
    You have to remove those jumpers [​IMG] in order to bi-wire and also make sure ALL your + & - connections are correct.[​IMG]
    Good luck
    Geoff

7. NatL

NatL Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the help. It turns out Geoff was right - I had mixed up one of the cables. I can't believe it since I was going slow and trying hard to make sure it all got together right. I did remove the jumpers, too, so hopefully the performance will be the better for that. The clipping has stopped.

N

8. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Hi NatL
    Good, glad to hear all is well and no damage done...
    Your maken music now! [​IMG]
    Regards
    Geoff
    Edit:
    So how do you like your new AR-9's???
    I think some here might be interested in your take on this affordable tower. *Ubid* has been blowing them out extremly reasonable. Might make for a good set of entry level tower speaks for those looking to get started.