What's new

Bi-Wire? Speaker Gauge? Need some help... (1 Viewer)

Alowe

Agent
Real Name
Andrew
Read around and all I could find is that Bi-Wire is just a fancy term that does nothing, Bi-Amp is more like it, but nobody explains what it is. I gather that bi-amping is connecting 2 amps to the speakers? But what are the benefits of bi-wire if your speakers have 4 connections in the rear? 12 gauge, 10 gauge, oxygen free??? Too much info to take in:laugh:

I have planned on buying the Ascend 340 mains and 340 center, as well as the SVS PB12-NSD sub. Plan on getting the 340 surrounds later on when I have more money. Anything special I should know about when wiring it? Of course I plan on asking Ascend, but just wanted to other thoughts...

Thanks,

Andy

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Biwiring does do nothing. Biamping would be running one channel or one amp to one set of binding posts on the speaker and another to the other set (one is highs, other is lows, based on x-over), the idea being you are getting much more power to each and demand on each is tailored only to its needs. That is the simplified version. The .40SEs are easy enough to drive that I probably wouldn't say they'd need biamping.

Alowe

Agent
Real Name
Andrew
Thanks for the short and easy to understand answer JC. How about gauge wire for a speaker setup such as this, also on the sub?

Andy

Alowe

Agent
Real Name
Andrew
Thanks again JC. I like when the answers are short and too the point. That link offers what I wanted. Not just a "use this" answer, but also teaches me why. That is what I was looking for and that is what I was given. Thanks again brother!

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks