bi-wire, is it true?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yoon Lee, Sep 8, 2001.

1. Yoon Lee

Yoon Lee Stunt Coordinator

Some say bi-wiring improves the sound quality greatly and others say that's not true. Would it make difference even among Denon 3802, Marantz SR8000, Onkyo 797 class receivers?

2. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

Only one way to find out.
    I noticed a difference with my Paradigm Studio 20's and Parasound amps.
    Do your speakers have 2 sets of binding posts? Give it a shot and see if you can tell a difference, its a very inexpensive tweak.
    Jeff Peake

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

of course it isn't...speaker manufacturer's put them on to keep pace with the joneses...

4. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Yoon,
    You will find more differnces regarding bi-wiring when comparing speakers than comparing receivers with the same speakers.
    Depending on the quality of crossover found within the speaker will dictate whether or not biwiring will improve the sound.
    ------------------
    [​IMG] "Charlie don't surf."

5. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

"of course it isn't...speaker manufacturer's put them on to keep pace with the joneses..."
    Lol... this guys so dead against biwiring.. Try it for yourself and see how YUO feel about the sound.. it's very cheap to do..
    - Chip
    ------------------

6. Tor Arne

Tor Arne Stunt Coordinator

There is no "black-magic" involved. It's logical that biwiring gives a slightly better signal..
    First of all, you get almost twice the wire-crossection. Second, the crossover for the treble only lets through the higher frequencies. Therefore only the high frequencies are "pulled" through that set of speaker-wires. The same goes for the bass crossover and lower frequencies.
    I suggest you try it, it's a very cheap tweak anyway. The only tweak I can think of that's cheaper would be speaker positioning or cleaning your ears. [​IMG]
    Regards,
    Tor Arne Hustvedt
    Norway
    ------------------
    Picture of my setup so far:
    http://tahustvedt.homestead.com/files/stereo01.jpg

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Yoon, bi-wiring is one of those tweaks that is controversial in audio like cables, speaker wire, power cords, green pens on CDs, etc. You will get different opinions depending on whom you ask. Audiophiles generally believe in many of these tweaks based on personal experience with high-end gear. I have a hard time believing in some of these tweaks, but I haven't tried many of them, and I may not have a revealing enough system to realize the benefits. On this site, the feelings about bi-wiring are mixed. However, post your question on the Speaker Asylum on Audio Asylum (www.audioasylum.com), which is an audiophile site, and I seriously doubt you will find anyone who is against bi-wiring. In the end, you ought to just try it out. However, if you hear no difference, do not wholeheartedly denounce the technique. It could mean that your system does not have the transparency required to communicate the benefit. I don't know what level of gear is required to hear the difference (I am assuming for now that there is a difference to be heard given all the audiophiles I have communicated with).
    I recently bought a pair of Totem Arro floorstanding speakers that can be bi-wired. They are connected to an NAD C 370 integrated amp with an Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD player and a Sony SCD-777ES SACD/CD player. Frankly, I don't know if this system is good enough to hear a difference when bi-wiring, but I am going to look into it. Currently, I am using standard-grade Monster speaker wire off a 50-foot roll at Circuit City (not bi-wired). I am going to replace them with better speaker wire (probably Kimber Kable 4TC) eventually. If I hear a benefit in going from the Monster wire to the 4TC, then I will consider bi-wiring. It gets expensive, however. An 8-foot pair of 4TC cables are $168 from Audio Advisor (www.audioadvisor.com). I could try bi-wiring with lesser expensive speaker wire, but I don't feel like bothering since I know I will upgrade eventually.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

8. Jason Watson

Jason Watson Stunt Coordinator

Now this is just nice. Some very civil responses to what has become a controversial topic. KeithH, your comments in particular read like a breath of fresh air.
    I can not say with certainty that there was a big change when I bi-wired my speakers.I switched from a single run of Audioquest Indigo to a double bi-wire with Midnight and crystal. A change for sure but nothing like when I went from 12ga Acoustic Research to the Indigo. Now that was an eye opening(or should I say mind opening [​IMG])upgrade!
    Jason

9. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

"It could mean that your system does not have the transparency required to communicate the benefit."
    This is definately something to keep in mind.. very good Keith! [​IMG]
    - Chip
    ------------------

10. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

Do you mean biwiring or biamping?
    From a theoretical point of view over short distances, biwiring should not make any audible difference on any system. It certainly made no difference on my old system, although I'll admit I have not yet tried it with my Paradigm Studio 60s.
    Everyone will have their preferences and beliefs but until I can hear a difference, and until blinded studies also show a difference, I will continue to say biwiring is simply a waste of (a small amount of) money.
    Biamping is a different story, but you were not asking about that.
    ------------------
    Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
    1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
    Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack.

11. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

I've recently bought a pair of Revel F-30 speakers. These are biwire capable and quite revealing speakers as far as detail and very neutral as far as coloring the sound fed to them. I'm using a Rotel 1095 five channel amp with Cardas Cables throughout my system. A good friend of mine is using Tannoy speakers and just biwired them with some DH-Lab internally biwired cables. He says he hears a great difference from the speakers. I had an extra pair of Cardas speakers cables and finally tried using all four cables to the Revels. I would say as far as what I hear. Is that there is a subtle difference. Maybe a slightly tighter sound in the bass, midrange and upper frequencies. I figure I'll leave them biwired for a few weeks and then go back to just the single cable per speaker. Just to compare if there is or isn't a difference to my ears.
    ------------------

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jason, you said:

13. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer