Bi Wire Experience from Paradigm Owners?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JamieS, Feb 26, 2003.

1. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

I have Monitor 7s (only a week old) driven by a Denon 1603 (80 wpc x5). I have done a search read lots of debate but thought I would ask for expereinces from owners of the same brand and more specifcally similar or same speakers. I currently have cables I made myself using 12 gauge Thunderbolt lightning cable and glod plated bannana plugs. 6ft long each. This was fairly inexpensive and have been pleased with the performance on my old speakers given the low cos of this set up. I rally don't see the point for me to spend a lot on cables given I have a $600 CAN amp and a $700 set of speakers.

Given my lower powered amplifier would I notice any real difference if I made a second set of cables with Bannana plugs on the speaker and and spades on the other and went bi wire on my 7s? I could probably do it for $50 or so. Would I even get my money's worth out of $50 with my current setup. anyone like to share their experience wit Paradigm and bi wire on budget systems?

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I really doubt bi-wires are going to make much of a difference w/ that reciever (or any receiver for that matter). If you're going to do bi-wires, i'd suggest picking up some bulk 12awg cable and what ever kind of banana's you like, but don't go overboard.

Also, the 1603 has binding posts, but not "5-way" binding posts. This means they won't accept spades because of the plastic collar under the screw down part of the posts made to more easily guide bare wire into place.

Hope this helps.

3. Ted_Wern

Ted_Wern Agent

I just bi-wired my studio 100's with 14 gauge wire and I can hear a big improvement. I was also using 12 gauge wire but there is no way I can fit 2, 12 gauge wires to the speaker out of my Marantz and I refuse to use banana plugs due to the fact that I believe running raw wire into the speakers and receivers is the only way to go for the best connection. I would try the bi-wire.

4. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

i have 2+2 cable from taralabs for my bi-wire in my stereo setup...it's a really nice convience....i think they go for about 2 bucks a foot....

5. Paul cbc

Paul cbc Stunt Coordinator

Jamie,

I have a pair of Paradigm Export monitors which I had some cables made up to bi-wire with common spades. I definitely think it is worth it. To give it a try inexpensively, how about some lamp cord/inexpensive 12ga to start. Your ears will be the best judge as to whether it is worth it or not.

Good luck!
    paul

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Further discussion on biwiring was found here. Yeah it's only $50, but that'll buy you a couple of DVD's, a large pie, and a couple of 6 packs of microbrew.

7. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator