Bi-Wire Embarassment

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James RD, Mar 20, 2002.

1. James RD

James RD Supporting Actor

About two months ago I brought home my new Klipsch RF 3-IIs and RC 3-II. Hooked them up and thought they sounded okay - maybe not quite broken in. Jazz sounded great. Vocals were a bit of a disappointment. I knew the speakers would grow on me and I needed to get used to them. They replaced a pair of KG-2s so the difference was great.

Today at work I was talking with a coworker about audio stuff and mentioned bi-wiring. I said that I didn't know much about it and that my new Klipsch speakers could be bi-wired. And that I had removed the straps that connect the posts because I thought that's what the instruction manual said to do. He said "Uh...I don't think so." God, I am an idiot.

I put the straps back and I now have an incredible upgrade. They sound fantastic. Besides giving everyone the opportunity to laugh at me I am wondering what exactly I was missing for the last two months. Besides gray matter.

:b

2. Alex Bischoff

Alex Bischoff
    Removing the jumper connection between the two sets of binding posts... Isn't that what you're supposed to do? Or, am I confused?
    Alex

3. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

I think he removed the bi-wire jumpers without bi-wiring his speakers. So he most likely connected the bass portion of the bi-wire posts so he was loosing the treble portion of the sound signal.

Ken

4. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

If you remove the strap but don't bi-wire then the tweeter is off.

5. Harry Lincoln

Harry Lincoln Stunt Coordinator

Alex, yes you do remove the strips but you also connect a second set of wires to the tweeter, which james didn't do, so there was no signal going to the tweeter.(I think)

Harry.

6. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

That must of sounded AWFUL?? My tweeter on my B&W 303 kicked off one day and I noticed immediately sounded like voices were coming from inside a box.

7. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

When I moved out of my apartment last summer I lost two of those straps in the move. After I hooked my stuff back up at home I was horrified by the (seemingly) blown speaker, wondering where I dropped it en route... Then I looked at the back, just in case I had done something stupid (black to black, red to black, etc) and saw that the straps were missing on one speaker... Luckily my dealer is a pretty nice outfit and they expressed me a new set of them (keep in mind that I had only spent $600 with them at the time) for free. That's called service!

8. Adam Krogul

Adam Krogul Stunt Coordinator

speaking of these gold plated jumpers.... someone asked me at work today if it was better to use the plates or to replace them with the wire that they were using.14 gauge monster cable. i told them to use the wires who know what the plate is made out of. i was just wondering if anyone actully compared the two or even knows what the actual gauge of the plate is? yea i know its an off the wall "?" so bear with me... just curious.[​IMG]
    l8rz

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I would say the plates are a better choice than wire. Why would they make and ship the speakers with them if simple wire was better?

10. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I dont' know. I think they use the plates because they would be easier to place on the speaker during manufacturing. I'd personally switch them out for the same speaker wire i was using.

James, which post did you have the speaker wire connected to, the top one or the bottom one? Ie were you missing the tweeters output or the mid/woofers output?

11. James RD

James RD Supporting Actor

I had them in the bottom posts so evidently I was losing my tweeters. Judging from what I'm hearing at this moment, I've got them back.
    BTW, thanks for the comments and kindness. Not one person has called me stupid! So far. Of course it helps that I already did that.[​IMG] Hopefully, there's a lesson here somewhere.

12. Bryan Acevedo

Bryan Acevedo Second Unit

Dude - you must be a pretty open minded and patient person. Without the tweeters, those things must have sounded terrible! And you were just thinking you needed to get used to the sound after already owning Klipsch speakers. Most people would have said these things suck and took them back. But you said, maybe I need to adjust!
    Wow - glad you have the horns back - that is what makes Klipsch so special. I have RB5s up front - I couldn't imagine them without the tweeters hooked up! [​IMG]
    Glad you are up and running!
    Bryan

13. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    No need to feel stupid. HERE'S the stupidest electronics story I've ever witnessed.

Back in the '80s, I worked at a newspaper and we had a society page editor who bought herself a new IBM-compatible PC (that's what we called them in those days) for writing at home.

I was the resident PC expert, so a few days after she bought the system, I asked how it was going. She was bitterly disappointed because this expensive new system had been in the house for 3-4 days and it had not yet worked. She explained that she had a technician from the store coming out the next day to help her get it set up.

Two days later, it turned out that the technician had arrived at her home, took a look at the setup, and quickly discovered that she hadn't plugged the computer in.

Sigh.

Jumpers removed from bi-wire speakers? Heck. That's an HONEST mistake.

14. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

15. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Dumbest setup thing I ever did was when I bought my DSS system. I pulled everything appart to reorganize the cables at the same time I installed the DSS receiver. Tied and arranged all the cables up nicely.

The dumb part was I didn't pay close enough attention when plugging the sub into the receiver. I hooked it up to the 5.1 sub input instead of the sub preout (my only excuse was I didn't really pull the component rack out so I was plugging stuff in leaning over it and reading stuff upside down :p)).

My sub then made this thumping sound every time I turned the receiver on or off. Watching TV I didn't really notice the absence of bass. Then a couple days later when I watched a movie I new something wasn't right.

Tried a whole bunch of stuff but never noticed I had the sub plugged into the wrong jack. Phoned where I bought it from, they told me to take it to a repair place. They said they soldered some loose connection.

I got it back hooked it into the wrong jack again. Getting really frustrated now, phoned the place I bought the receiver from again. Gets me to double check my connections again carefully.

God I'm an IDIOT. Finally notice the mistake, nothing was broken all along.