bi-wire / bi-amping speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Chad_, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Chad_

Chad_ Extra

I have a couple questions about bi-wiring and bi-amping speakers.

What receivers support bi-wiring to drive your front speakers? It appears Yamaha receivers support this feature, but Denon, Harmon Kardon and others I am looking at don't seem to have B speaker outputs for the front speakers. Can they support it through some funky setup? (maybe if they have Surround B speakers that are assignable to Zone 2, those could be fed the same source as the fronts and be used for bi-wiring??)

What receivers definitely support bi-wiring or bi-amping?

Which ones definitely don't support it?

Also, if the speakers impedence is low (4 Ohms), would bi-wiring in a A, B setup help or hurt the Amp (it seems like it might hurt instead of help performance because the amp has to work harder to drive the 4 Ohm speakers, and then you put the burden of driving both A and B speakers at the same time. If you also had 5.1 surround going... the amp might be taxed?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

2. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

All receivers that I know of support bi-wiring. You hook up both sets of wires to the one main set of terminals. I'm not sure what you would call hooking up your system the way you are talking, I would think you would change the current. Bi-amping is not done with receivers, you need two amps, or two amp channels at least, one for each terminal on the speaker. Search old threads, there have been tons of discussions on this. I've got my speakers wired with the wire from BlueJeansCable. Both of my ends at the receiver go to the same terminal. That is bi-wiring. I'm not sure what the effect would be with 4 ohm speakers, I would think if you go to the same receiver terminal you would be fine. Bi-wiring if it provides an improvement at all it is a very small improvement, microscopic improvement I would say.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Chad,
    You don’t need B outputs. In fact, it’s probably not a good idea to use them even if they are there. Some manufactures use series connections when both A and B outputs are used simultaneously. For biwiring you want parallel connections.

All you need to biwire is banana plugs that can be stacked. Or you can connect one set of wires with spade lugs and the other with banana plugs.

As Blaine indicated, you may or may not hear an audible improvement with biwiring.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. George Caronan

George Caronan Stunt Coordinator

Pioneer Elites have a bi-amp feature for the mains. Trouble is that you will have to reassign the pair of back surrounds to the mains as part of the configuration.

5. Chad_

Chad_ Extra

Would bi-amping with a Pioneer ELITE receiver (or the 1014 which I believe also could bi-amp) make it easier for the receiver to drive 4 Ohm Impedence front speakers?

6. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Does this sort of biamping make a difference if there is only one large power supply vs. individual ones?
    Does biamping w/ rears make a difference in most cases?

7. Benihana

Benihana Stunt Coordinator

I am bi-amping at the moment, I have 1 amp for each of my mains. What I immediately noticed is that the bass was much more powerful, the mids and highs were unstrained and effortless at very high volumes. What this does is make the amp less strained, and each powersupply is only running 1 channel. Overall the sound is so effortless, that at high volumes the music doesn't seem loud, if anybody knows what I mean.

As far as bi-amping from a receiver, it can make a difference, because 1 amp channel is powering the bass, and the other is powering the mids and highs, but since all the other channels are sharing the same powersupply, I don't know what kind of gains are to be expected.

8. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

How is that bi-amping?

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I've found that if you have enough power and the correct gauge wire, bi-amping doesn't really add a significant improvement. I'm running a monoblock for my R&L mains (which are not bi-wirable) and the improvement was very noticable. Each speaker has a power supply all it's own.

I biwired my bookshelf speakers in my bedroom, using the A&B outputs on my integrated and there was a small difference, however when I switched back to a single run but replaced the OEM jumper with a short run of wire, they sounded exactly the same.

With A&B switches however, they are ususally run off the same amp channel, so you are not really bi-amping by doing this in most cases.

Shared power supply in a receiver vs an external amp is not apples to oranges, because in an external amp the power supply is dedicated to amplification only (and is generally much more beefy than most receivers).

10. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Well, assuming a stereo amp for each speaker...

11. Benihana

Benihana Stunt Coordinator

How is that bi-amping?

1 stereo amp for each speaker, one channel for the bass, one channel for mids and highs.