What's new

Bi-pole speakers for front speakers? (1 Viewer)

kwagar

Auditioning
Real Name
Keith
hey all,

is there any reason that you can't or wouldn't use bi-pole speakers for your front left and front right as well as your rear surround speakers?

Let me know your thoughts.

Wagswook

PS. room is 25 x 25

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Def Tech makes some bipolar towers. I haven't heard them, but I'm sure it would produce a unique effect. I would definitely want to hear them before buying them though.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Some people like them some don't, so yes, try to hear them before you buy.

I had Def Techs for about 10 years. Liked them alot. (Larger sweet spot mainly.) Read a lot about their anti-thesis (in a way): Vandersteen. Time aligned, phase coherent, direct radiators. Set up a 7.1 system. I did like the Vandersteen more for music (very small sweet spot though), but the sins of the Vandersteen system for HT were, to me, much worse than the sins of the Def Tech system for 2 ch stereo. So I then moved upscale (in a way), and got a system with Mirage speakers.

You might try a search on Definitive Technology, Def Tech, Mirage, etc, because there have been a lot of comments on what people like and don't like with these kinds of speakers.

For kicks, here is a review of a Mirage pair that sort of highlights to me what I like about bipolar/omnipolar speakers:

http://h1.ripway.com/kevin5brown/Mirage-OM-5.pdf

(I got the OM-7's, because I don't believe that subs in L & R speakers is the best way to do things. The best place for sub(s) in a room is most times not the same place you'll place your L & R speakers. When I had Def Tech, I had BP-30s.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks