Bi-Pole or Di-Pole or Rear Wall??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James_N_H, Apr 30, 2002.

1. James_N_H

James_N_H Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

Due to moving my home theatre into a different room I would now like to use wall mounted rear speakers, however I am confused as to which I need. The speakers are to be wall mounted behind the listening position on the rear wall of a fairly square shaped room, can anyone tell me which I need, bi-pole or di-pole rear speakers? Or have I gone off totally in the wrong direction and it does not matter which I use?

Thanks for any advice.

2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

I'll take a crack at this one...

Given that for Dolby Digital the side walls are preferred, you are already in the second-best location, so I would think that the more non-directional the speakers, the better. That is, bi-pole.

[Comment added later on: I'm not so sure bi-pole is the best choice. Both di-pole and bi-pole are non-directional.]

3. James_N_H

I currently have a 5.1 system but was wanting to upgrade to 7.1 but the only way I can do it is with wall mounted rear speakers, and the only ones that match my system are di-poles in the speaker range that I currently have. Would it be a bad thing to use di-poles as rears in a 7.1 set-up directly behind the listening position? Thanks for your advice as I have no idea about this whole di-pole/bi-pole thing!

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    James, it would not necessarily be a bad thing, all I know is that if I were designing a 7.1 system, I would probably use direct radiating speakers all around. I assume you are using side surrounds. I have heard of people using a mixture of directs and bipole/dipole speakers in a 7.1 setup with good results. If I had dipoles already and were trying to set that up, I would use the dipoles to the sides and the directs as the rear speakers behind the l.p. and a single centre rear speaker.

5. James_N_H

You have totally lost me now! If you where setting up a 7.1 system you would use di-poles on the sides, directs as rears and then a centre rear speaker? 7.1 surround uses rears and another two rears, im sure their is no centre rear in 7.1 as you would in effect be creating an 8.1 surround system?

I know the signal that the 7.1 extra rears is the same signal, its basically 6.1 but using an extra rear speaker and that extra speaker gets the same signal, its just like pro-logic received the same signal to the rears where as pro-logic2 gives independant signals as im sure you know.

I currently use direct speakers as rears now but in my new room their is no space to put them behind so they have to go to the side, this is why I need wall mountable speakers for the rears as I cant fit direct speakers behind.

Thanks for your advice.

James

6. chella

chella Stunt Coordinator

I do not have much space between my listening position and the rear wall. I use di-pole speaker with great results in my 5.1 setup.

If you are still cannot decide, many manufacturers make switchable di and bi pole speakers - CSW, M&K, Monitor Audio to name a few. Check them out.

On the 7.1 question, the surrounds are normally: two side surrounds and

i. either a single rear surround - aka rear center

ii. or two rear surrounds

The reason for a single rear surround is due to the fact that DD EX has only matrixed single rear surround channel - that can be routed to 1 or 2 speakers. DTS-ES has a single discrete rear surround that can be routed to 1 or 2 speakers.

7. James_N_H

The speakers I use are B&W and have been offered some DS6 di-pole speakers at a very good price which is why I am considering a move to 7.1. So ideally for a 7.1 system you should use an extra 2-rears and also a centre rear so you can switch between formats?

Thanks for reply.

8. chella

chella Stunt Coordinator

No, you would have "extra 2-rears" OR "a centre rear". You do not need them both.

Both DD and DTS provide you only ONE rear surround channel.

9. James_N_H

So if I played a 5.1 encoded DVD in my DVD player and fed that to a 7.1 capable receiver through a digital cable I would not get full 7.1, i.e using both rear surrounds? Or will the receiver that is 7.1 capable decode the signal that it is receiving and produce a 7.1 signal?

Again thanks for your advice.

James

10. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

There is no such thing as "full 7.1" compared to 6.1, at least if one is talking about Dolby Digital Surround EX, which matrixes an additional (single) rear channel in the two surround channels in the 5.1 encoding. The "7" just means that there are two amplifiers, to drive two rear speakers, instead of one. But, both rear speakers (channels 6 and 7) are playing the identical signal.

11. James_N_H

I know about the signal being the same between 6.1 and 7.1 as I explained in an earlier post, what I was trying to get at was if I ran a 5.1 DVD would I still be able to get some sound from the extra 2 rears if I used a 7.1 capable receiver?

12. chella

chella Stunt Coordinator

Yes, you will. But the effects from those 2 additional speakers may not impressive. They will really come alive while playing DD-EX or DTS-ES disks.