What's new

Bi-fold doors (1 Viewer)

DaveMart

Auditioning
I have a fairly large opening in my theater room that I want to close up. I can cover it perfectly with a couple of sets of bi-fold doors. They would pretty much block out all the light, but I'm worried about them rattling when I start running some serious SPL's thru there. I've got a SVS 20-39+ and will probably be upgrading to some larger Rocket speakers this year. The opening is in the back left corner of the room, opposite the SVS, but there is a huge sofa between the two to absorb the immediate impact.

Anybody have any problems with bi-fold doors in your theaters? I can put in a regular door, but it would be kind of a pain because the area is already finished. I can sneek the bi-folds up without too many problems.

Tim K

Second Unit
I had two bi-fold closets behind my RPTV....which I ripped out to extend the room. There is another bifold closet in the front right corner of my room. The door rattles with the mediocre bass of my Mirage PS-10 200w subwoofer.

I assume an SVS would shake the door off.

The problem with bifolds is the metal track and plastic/metal wheels. They are not designed to be a tight fit for ease of movement....however, this makes them very rattle-prone.

Maybe try to find some type of french doors for your closet. Something with a magnet and catch to hold them shut. You could also put some weatherstripping along the frame and door edge to reduce rattling.

DaveMart

Auditioning
Thanks Tim. I guess I sort of knew it would be a problem, but I was trying to take the easy way out and hoping for the best. I'll probably just put in a real door, but that will have to wait for this summer. I like the french door idea, I may look into that.

Thanks.

DelRay

Stunt Coordinator
I plan on installing double doors in my ht room also. Opening is 74". I will be using (2) 36 inch doors and they will be inch and three quarter solid core. I'm hoping to control the bass issue also. I plan on installing a porthole window in each door, to give it a little nicer look. Plenty of options out there.

DaveMart

Auditioning
Yeah DelRay, I'm probably going with solid core doors too, but I will just have one. I'm going to make a few framing modifications to the space so a single door will fit. Won't have time to work on it until after tax season though, but then I'll have the cash for the project too. April 15 can't get here fast enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.