Bi Amping Yamaha Receivers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Steven_C, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Steven_C

Steven_C Extra

Is anybody bi amping their main speakers using the the internal main amps on a Yamaha receiver and a seperate power amp? I have been doing this on my DSP-A1 with good results . The A1 has a premain coupler so I ran a y from the pre outs to my power amp and back into the main pre ins on the A1. I have purchased an RX-Z1 receiver. It doesn't use jumpers on the main per ins and outs like the A1 does. I think all the newer models are like this. It looks like if I run the main pre outs to my power amp the built in main amps will still be active. I Emailed Yamaha and they tell me I can't bi amp with the Z1. Is anybody else using their receiver to bi amp? Thanks.

Steve

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Do you still have the “y” splitter?? If so it will be easy to see.

Just run the pre-outs to the second amp and hook up both speaker wires to the Yamaha and outboard amp. If the side connected to the Yamaha isn’t working, then insert the “y” splitter as you did with the A1, and that will certainly get it. It would be pretty silly to include “Main In” jacks if they didn’t do anything.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Steven_C

Steven_C Extra

My A1 uses an external pre main coupler. It looks like the Z1 uses an internal coupler. I think the internal amps shut off automatically when an RCA is inserted into the main pre ins, however the manual is very unclear on this. I want to make sure that putting RCA's into the main pre out doesn't shut the internal amps off. If they do, I suppose my only choice is to use the Y's like I do on my A1. The couplers must work differently between the two because the Z1 doesn't use the connection bars between the main per ins & outs like the A1 does. Nobody at Yamaha USA knows how these work either. I haven't even taken the Z1 out of the box yet. I'm trying to make sure I can still bi amp with it before I decide to keep it.

Steve

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    It’s not all that different really. The only way to add an outboard amp to the A1 is to physically unplug the coupler, right? Of course, when you do that the amp is de-activated.

The Z1 doesn’t have an external coupler, but plug a line into the Z-1’s pre-out and the amp is deactivated.

What’s the difference? The end result is the same: Either way, any attempt to add an outboard amp decouples the internal amp. The Z1 does it automatically, while you do it manually on the A1.

Think about it, Steven, it would make no sense to keep the amp active if a cable was plugged into the pre-out. For instance, what if you had some other intention for that amplifier channel? Like if you wanted to patch the front effects into it, for more power. Or to power a second zone. For instance, I routed my rear channel signals back into the front amplifiers, because the test reports I saw indicated that they were better quality than the rears amps were.

It gives the most flexibility even if all you want to do is bi-amp. You could, for instance, add an equalizer dedicated to the highs or lows only. Or a digital delay processor, for time-alignment of the woofer and tweeter.

You might as well get used to it, Steven, you’re going to need that “y” adapter.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Steven_C

Steven_C Extra

I guess I'm just going to have to try it and see how it works. I have Yamaha owners on another forum telling me the internal amps will still be active after I run the cables from the pre outs to my external amp. The manual for the Z1 states:"When an RCA pin-plug is connected to the PREOUT jack in order to output to the external amplifier, do not connect speakers to this unit. If you do, the sound will be output from both speakers connected to the external amplifier and this unit" Thanks for you input.

Steve

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I’ll bet what they’re talking about there is the other channels that don’t have Main Ins – the rears, front effects, etc.

Again, it would be stupid to include Main In jacks for the L/C/R channels if there was not free and independent access to those amplifiers via those jacks.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

7. Steven_C

Steven_C Extra

Actually the front effect channels have ins and out as well. Only the rear surrounds, rear center and subs have an output only. It looks like the when you plug into the main channel "In" jacks that the Z1's preamp stage is automatically bypassed. Here is the description of both the main in and out jacks from the manual:

MAIN jacks
    MAIN OUT jacks
    Main channel line output jacks. The signals output through these jacks are affected by VOLUME,BASS,TREBLE, and BASS EXTENSION settings.

MAIN IN jacks
    Line input to this unit's main channel amplifiers. When connecting to these jacks, signals input to the preamplifier of this unit will not be output from the main amplifier of this unit.

What do you make of that?

Steve

8. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

i think you're going to have to try it and see

9. ellisr63

ellisr63 Stunt Coordinator

Ron
    Were you able to bi-amp?

10. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer