Bi-amping with rear back surround channels

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Derek_OC, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Derek_OC

Derek_OC Extra

I just purchased a HK 525 and am only running a 5.1 setup. Does anyone know if there is a way to hook up my rear back surround amps up to my fronts to bi-amp my front speakers? My room really isn't big enough to run a 7.1 system and it seems silly to not use all the power. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Derek

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    In order to do this you will need pre-out jacks for the front channels, and amp-in jacks for the surround channels. Probably not the best idea anyway, because in many receivers the rear amplifiers are not as good, quality-wise, as the main front channels.

3. Derek_OC

Derek_OC Extra

Thanks for the info. Didn't figure it would be easy to do, or even worth it, since i did a search and couldn't find anything on it. But hey i figured i would ask anyhow.

I get your point too about it not being a big deal not to use the power. I guess its not like i need anymore anyhow its only in my apartment living room.

Thanks again,
    Derek

4. Jason Brent

Jason Brent Second Unit

Actually there is a way to do it on the 525, but it is a little hokey...

First take the L/R channel preamp out and run a set of short interconnects to an unused input (i.e. video 3)

Then in the master menu, set up the 2nd zone operation, and select the input you just connected the preamp out to, in this case Video 3.

Now just turn on the 2nd zone, and that should do it. Then you just need to run speaker wire from the surround rear/multi room outputs to your mains. Now keep in mind with the 525, when you shut off the unit, the 2nd zone will still be powered on. No sound will be coming out, but it will still be on nonetheless.

I have done this to use the surround backs to power a couple of tactile transducers in my couch.

Hope this makes sense 8->

5. Derek_OC

Derek_OC Extra

Thanks I will give that a try and see how it works. If it doesn't work that great not like it is gonna cost me too much i guess.

Derek

6. JohnSer

JohnSer Stunt Coordinator

Derek, I'll be interested in your results. I have contemplated doing something similar, but haven't tried it. I don't think you will gain much in loudness, even if the power demands are divided equally on your speakers. Maybe a 1 db or 2. If your room is relatively small, you are probably not running near max volume, anyway.

With most receivers, the single power supply is usually the limiting factor. The HK has one of the beefier supplies compared to most receivers, but doesn't compare to seperate amps. I believe the 525 specs are 85W channel two channel and 70W for all 7 channels. If you are running only 5, probably has a rating about 75W/channel.

I have the 520, and considered to try passive bi-amping, to see if it would provide increased clarity. The 520 only has 5 channels, but has main-ins. It would require some switching mechanism, so I ended up buying a used Adcom 545II for the mains. The improvement was only minor, at best.

JohnS

7. Derek_OC

Derek_OC Extra

Yeah there is no way that in my living room (around 200sq ft.) i would be able to crank it all the way up like it is right now anyhow. Could be a fun little project in my spare time just to mess around with to see if there is any difference. I'll let you know how it works out if i try it though.

Derek