Bi-amping with an A-B Receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jack*Mains, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Jack*Mains

Jack*Mains Stunt Coordinator

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if it would be beneficial in any way to use the A-B outputs on a receiver to bi-amp a pair of speakers.

I have a Yamaha RXV730 which can go down to 8 Ohms into both channels, or 4Ohms when either of the channels is used.

Since under normal conditions, there is a bridge across both sets of terminals on the speakers, and the combined load is about 8Ohms, I am assuming that the load becomes 16Ohms on each terminal when bi-amping them.

But the real question is: is it really worth it using both of the A-B channel to bi-amp, or does it simply split up the signal from the same amp?

2. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

3. Jack*Mains

Jack*Mains Stunt Coordinator

In that case I guess I can use the extra set of binding posts without having to cram 2 12g wires into one.

4. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    Both the A and the B terminals are connected to the same amp, so you're not really bi-amping but bi-wiring. It doesn't matter if you hook up two pairs of wires to the same terminal or use one terminal per wire, it's the exact same result - the split just happens at different places.

- Mike

5. John S

John S Producer

Bi-wire'n can have some benefits though. I don't do it, but I know people that do.