Bi-Amping was a flop!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig Ball, Feb 17, 2002.

1. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

Ok here's what i did this morning. I've been waiting for my H/K 520 to show up for a week now, so out of bordom, i borrowed my friends Sony ESD100 pre-amp and used one of my Acurus 200x3 amps for the test.

I hooked up the right preout to a splitter and ran them into two of the three acurus channels and then ran two sets of speaker wires from the amp, one to the LF posts and one set to the HF posts, and yes i did remove the jumpers, I then ran the left pre-out to the last channel on the amp and ran it's speaker cables to the left speaker, left the jumpers on this speaker.

I then started demoing a few music cd's through my dvd player as everything else in disconneted waiting for my H/K to show up. The results? Dissapointing, did i do something wrong? I could here nothing, no difference at all. Correct me if i'm wrong but i'm running 200watts to the highs of the right channel and 200watts to the lows of the right channel and no difference between that and the left.

Could it be the splitter? Is it dropping the signal? I would have thought that bi-amping should of at least made a sound differnce, Oh i forgot to mention i'm using Klipsch KLF-30 speakers.

Any idea's out there?

Craig

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Well, the splitter is probably dropping the level-- but that is just a volume issue. Even with the splitter dropping th volume, it's simulating what you would have done manually (reduced the volume on the preamp).

I think the idea of passive bi-amping is pretty much bunk. You're still applying passive filters inside the speaker (the same filters either way). The only advantage is added power and what equates to large speaker lines (by being 2).

In your case, the splitter probably reduced the voltage going to the amp- making less output. You should still get slightly cleaner playback at high volumes (more headroom do to extra amp umph).

-Vince

3. JimN

JimN Stunt Coordinator

Biamping is a very speaker/amp dependent process. I never noticed any improvement using a pair of Polk SDA speakers (can't remeber the model) and my Adcom GFA-565 monos. However I have a pair of "tiny" Wharfedale 7.2 Anniversaries in my den that I power with a set of ASL Wave tube amps. The difference between running them biamped and using the jumpers is night and day. Biamping improves both the bass extension and the clarity. I was really surprised since I just tried it since I had extra speaker cable . You just never know unless you try. IMO.

4. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

Thanks Vince and Jim, I know i wasn't truely bi-amping I was just thinking about bi-wireing my speaks and knew that bi-amping was a step up from that, so after the results that i've gotten I think i'll just be looking into some good speaker cables.

Thanks

Craig

5. Jim Mc

Jim Mc Agent

"Correct me if i'm wrong but i'm running 200watts to the highs of the right channel and 200watts to the lows of the right channel and no difference between that and the left."
    One other point is that you may have been connected to a 200Watt capacity amp but it is VERY doubtful you ever drove 200Watts into the speakers unless you drove them very hard.
    Kind of like having a Dodge Viper and doing 55mph.
    I Bi-Amp the center channel since I had the extra amp channel. It seemed to help vocal clarity.
    http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?m=66116202303&n=1123730486
    The Stargate

6. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

Well Jim thats exactally what i'm doing, yes 200 to the highs and 200 to the lows. Just like a dodge viper, just haven't floored it yet!!!

Craig

7. Anthony Stephan

Anthony Stephan Stunt Coordinator

Klipsh make a VERY efficient speaker, and chances are that the speakers didn't need that kind of power to sound good.

Let me tell you about my experience. I own NHT VT2s.

These babys suck up power like a paper towel sucks up spilt milk.

I passivly biamped them and it made a world of difference.

The 10" woofer was finally getting the power it needed and the Mids stood out with a broader sound field.

No, it wasn't a placibo effect. I had tested them with and without biamping with friends as well. We all heard it.

So, I think results are really going to be based on the speakers and the amps.

8. Wes C

Wes C Supporting Actor

What is bi-amping excatly?

9. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer