Bi-Amping or Using Monoblocks

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ruben A, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Ruben A

Ruben A Extra

For speakers which can accept 2 amps (4 speaker posts) what is the generally accepted fact as to the set-up which yields the best sound. Is it using 2 monoblock amps to power each speaker or is it using 2 amps which are 2 channel each and having each amp power the "lower" set of speaker posts in both speakers and doing the same with the other 2 channel amp for the "upper" set of speaker posts. Sorry if I don't have the lingo down exact. Your guidance will help me determine what equipment to purchase next. Thank you.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    There are two forms of biamping - vertical and horizontal. Vertical is using two channels of amp per speaker. Horizontal is using one amp to the lower portions of each speaker and the other amp for the highs, in an attempt to balance the load seen by each amp. Vertical biamping is nearly the same as using a monoblock, except each driver has its own channel (though both are powered by the same power supply unless the amp is a dual monoblock design). By using monoblocks (or a 2ch amp as above) each speaker has it's own dedicated power supply and does not have to "share" any of that load with another speaker, so the amount of headroom available is still basically very high.

3. Ruben A

Ruben A Extra

So is there a generally accepted set-up which yields the best sound?. I know this is highly subjective but from a purely "scientific" point of view, if there is such a thing here, is one set-up supposed to be better than another for sound/music reproduction?. I can either buy monoblocks or 2 channel amps but can't afford to buy both and play around with them so any advise is greatly appreciated. Thank you.