What's new

Bi-amping my front speakers. (1 Viewer)

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator
Hello:

Has anyone thought of Bi-amping a set of fronts by using the A and B speakers outputs on a modern day receiver??

Instead of using the pre-amp outputs?

Any technical ramifications?

Alex

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Hi, Alex: Your chances of getting responses to your query are enhanced by titling your post in such a way as to tell others what your post is about. That's much better than simply titling your post with your name. Thanks! JB

EricRV

Auditioning
I wouldn't reccomend that idea. Its not really bi-amping because they are run off of the same amplifier. This gets into issues of running the + and - in a parallel configuration. Your receiver can only play one of those speaker outputs at nominal output. Say you are running a pair of 4ohm speakers off the 4ohm outputs on your receiver from only one of the speaker outputs,,,everything is ok. If you use both a and b outputs to the same speaker, then it bumps the ohm load up to 8 or higher giving you significantly less output than before. Either bi-wire, or bi-amp using a seperate amp.

Eric.

Marc H

Second Unit
Alex,
Eric's right. You would essentially only be bi-wiring and not bi-amping. Depending on the way the speaker B is wired internally, it may detract from the sound.
I thought you were already bi-amping anyway, no?

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Marc!

Great to hear from you!

I am bi-wiring the fronts and center channels...the rears are not bi-wired yet...oh by the way have I mentioned I am really enjoying the Dahlquists! (Smile)...

I understand the using the A and B inputs , being in parallel etc and the same amp...I wil not fo this scenario.

I have an old PS Audio 200C boat anchor that I want to try to bi-amp the fronts using the reciever pre-amp outputs for...and bi-wire from this 200C amp to the QX10's.

If it doesnt give the speakers more headroom (from the greater bandwith of the 200C) and make a real difference I will go back to the just using the receiver A outputs and bi-wiring again...

I also thought of bi-amping the fronts using the 200C and the A receiver amp outputs, just need different wires!

Ain't this fun! ? !

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks