1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Bi-amping my front speakers.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alex Dydula, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Alex Dydula

Alex Dydula Stunt Coordinator

Hello:

Has anyone thought of Bi-amping a set of fronts by using the A and B speakers outputs on a modern day receiver??

Instead of using the pre-amp outputs?

Any technical ramifications?

Alex

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Hi, Alex: Your chances of getting responses to your query are enhanced by titling your post in such a way as to tell others what your post is about. That's much better than simply titling your post with your name. Thanks! JB

3. EricRV

EricRV Auditioning

I wouldn't reccomend that idea. Its not really bi-amping because they are run off of the same amplifier. This gets into issues of running the + and - in a parallel configuration. Your receiver can only play one of those speaker outputs at nominal output. Say you are running a pair of 4ohm speakers off the 4ohm outputs on your receiver from only one of the speaker outputs,,,everything is ok. If you use both a and b outputs to the same speaker, then it bumps the ohm load up to 8 or higher giving you significantly less output than before. Either bi-wire, or bi-amp using a seperate amp.

Eric.

4. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Alex,
    Eric's right. You would essentially only be bi-wiring and not bi-amping. Depending on the way the speaker B is wired internally, it may detract from the sound.
    I thought you were already bi-amping anyway, no?

5. Alex Dydula

Alex Dydula Stunt Coordinator

Hi Marc!

Great to hear from you!

I am bi-wiring the fronts and center channels...the rears are not bi-wired yet...oh by the way have I mentioned I am really enjoying the Dahlquists! (Smile)...

I understand the using the A and B inputs , being in parallel etc and the same amp...I wil not fo this scenario.

I have an old PS Audio 200C boat anchor that I want to try to bi-amp the fronts using the reciever pre-amp outputs for...and bi-wire from this 200C amp to the QX10's.

If it doesnt give the speakers more headroom (from the greater bandwith of the 200C) and make a real difference I will go back to the just using the receiver A outputs and bi-wiring again...

I also thought of bi-amping the fronts using the 200C and the A receiver amp outputs, just need different wires!

Ain't this fun! ? !

Alex

6. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

You're in for a treat. Bet once you try the bi-amping, there's no going back [​IMG]