Bi-Amping KLF-30's withAcurus Amps?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig Ball, Oct 22, 2001.

1. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

I asked this question in Home Theater hardware with no reply so I'm going to try here.
    I wanted to know what you guys thought. I have just ordered a Acurus A200x3 amp, and was thinking about picking up a 125x5 too. Heres what i was thinking of doing. Run the 200x3 two of the channels to the woofs on the 30's and the third to the center channel, then running two channels from the 125x5 to the highs on the 30's and the other two to my exisiting side surrounds, and leaving the fifth channel for a future rear center channel. So do you think 200watts to the woof and 125watts to the highs in a Bi-amp configuration on my 30's be a good idea?
    Thanks
    Craig

2. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Sounds good to me. Your plan deploys the higher power channels where they would do the most good. Level matching on that rig will be an all day project.

3. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

Brian, help me out here what do you mean by level matching being an all day project?
    Craig

4. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

True Bi-amping can be pretty tricky you might want to read this..... http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm
    Personally I would just stick with your 200 watt Acurus amp as I doubt you will yeild any major improvment by bi-amping.
    [Edited last by James W. Johnson on October 22, 2001 at 12:48 PM]

5. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

Thanks James, That was/Is some very good food for thought, I'll have to really read that articl over before I attempt to bi-amp my speaks, maybe I'll just pick up another Acurus 200x3 and be ready for 6.1 [​IMG]
    Craig

6. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

I perhaps overstated the problem a little, but besides balancing the 6 speakers you have to level match individually the midrange and tweeter of the JBL mains via your active crossover (you did realize that you would need a stereo 2 way active crossover to do this ?) I agree with the post above that it probably isn't worth it for HT- only for critical stereo music.

7. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

Thanks alot guys, I'm more confused than ever now, oh we'll maybe i should return to home theater hardware where i can still understand at least 50% of the questions there.
    Craig