Bi-Amping Denon 5800???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack Smith, Nov 11, 2001.

1. Jack Smith

Jack Smith Agent

I was wondering if this can be done on the 5800? I'd like to bi-amp two channels to power my center surrounds position, bringing the output to each speaker up to 340 watts. That would put them in the same league with my other 5 speakers all receiving 375 watts each from a Cinepro 3kSE1 (more power does make a significent difference). If anyone has any "safe" and "warranty" proof experience bi-amping the 5800, please show me the way.
    -speakers: Klipsch RF7's, Klipsch RC7, Klipsch RS7s, pair of Klipsch RF3's in Center Surround position.
    -Sub: SVS 16/46 with Samson Amp.
    we are the borg...

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    This is a little confusing, jack. You bi-amp speakers, that is, use a separate amp for the tweeters and mids. You don’t bi-amp an amp.
    Perhaps you mean bridging two channels to make a single higher-powered channel? If that’s the case, forget it. You can’t bridge a receiver.
    Bridging is accomplished by driving the inputs of two amplifier channels out of phase. In other words, one channel must have the signal positive connected to the outer ring of an RCA plug, and the signal negative (i.e, the shield) connected to the center pin. This would normally require making custom cables; however, the bridging switch on an amplifier does this conversion internally.
    You will notice, Jack, that your Denon does not have such a switch. That means it was not designed to accomodate or safely operate in a bridged mode. If you’re adventuresome you could make the custom cables as outlined above, provided you have to have direct access to the amplifier channels via “Main In” jacks. But proceed at your own risk. Bridged amplifiers are not forgiving of improper loads.
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt
    ------------------
    My Equipment List

3. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

Jack,
    Why don't you use the the Cinepro to drive the center channel and then use the remaining four channels of the Cinepro to bi-amp the mains.
    Let the Denon power up the rears.
    This will really improve your front soundstage.
    Dynamics will be huge as well as a significant improvement
    in overall imaging.
    ------------------
    Trevor..[​IMG]
    My HomeTheater S.E. Sonically Enhanced
    *Outdated pictures due to recent upgrades!

4. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Jack, I concur with Trevor.
    I just upgraded my front end and have been looking for a new amp for the mains. I will most likely go the same route (5 channel amp, 2ch/main, and 1 for the center). That should open a whole new world in the surrounds. [​IMG]
    Jeremy

5. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

6. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

I cant disagree with the Schell Shocker today! Im a lover of all things Cinepro. Bi-amp your fronts and run your surrounds off the denon, youll be in heaven.
    ------------------
    Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I am comfortable with that. I am enlightened.