Bi-amping/crossover/maggies?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by donSKI, Jan 31, 2004.

1. donSKI

donSKI Auditioning

I'm interested in bi-amping my maggie 1.5s and would like to know if I need an external crossover or will the internal handle the split signals. I was under the impression that some speakers skip the internal altogether when bi-amped. Down the road I will get an external to have a bit more control but would like to begin without. I plan on trying the bi-amping via the panasonic SA XR25 which is still breaking in. Thanks for any help.
    Don

2. Joe Casey

Joe Casey Stunt Coordinator

I'm unfamiliar with the input topology of the 1.5, but if it provides for separate hi and lo signal inputs for a biamp configuration, you'll need an external active crossover providing the separation per the manufactuerers specs (cutoff, slope etc). You might want to ask your question here.

3. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

4. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

i dont know if that panasonic will be able to handle the load! i would be careful there.

5. donSKI

donSKI Auditioning

I'm really not to worried about the load, since it'll currently drive the maggies which are a very stable 4ohm load(truly easier than many fluctuating 8ohm, which can drop to 2), and my current 4 ohm rears. Bi-amping will probably reduce the overall load since it all be stable 4 ohm(committing it to 2 channel use). The current design is to use the single inputs, or remove the jumpers and use the bi set. I'll spend some time researching in the "planar" forum. Thanks for the direction.