Bi-amped, like it alot. Got a question as to the setup.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Daniel T., Jun 23, 2003.

1. Daniel T.

Daniel T. Agent

I have the stereo amp powering the woofers and the receiver doing the mids/tweets. I've run the preouts from the receiver to the stereo amp(variable inputs), I've played with the levels some, but can't nail it down where I like it. Is there a SUREFIRE way to calibrate this kinda setup? I tried using a spl meter to match up the db's between the woofs and the mid/tweeters and uh...it sounded horrid. Like being in a tin can. The main problem here is that the level adjustments are on the back of the amp, and while I'm back there foolin with the knobs, the speakers are kinda muffled.

Am I just going to get another person to twist on em while I sit in my favorite listening spot? Or do y'all know a trick to get this sounding right? I can see the potential in this setup, its just dang hard to tweak it.

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

The problem you're observing (hearing) is that the gains are not matched. This means that the receiver and amp are outputting two different levels that are causing an imbalance. That can't be done with a SPL meter. You'll need to use a multimeter.

Burn a test tone...something like a 1 kHz sine wave or even pink noise on a CD. Play it...not too loud. Measure the voltage at the amp and receiver and adjust them so that they're equal.

Let's work with arbitrary #'s. Say that at a setting of -10 dB on your receiver, that the voltage at the receiver's outputs is 2.000 volts and the voltage coming out of the amp is 2.100 or 1.850 volts. You'll use the gain setting on the amp to make it also read 2.000 volts.

3. Daniel T.

Daniel T. Agent

I figured out how to do it. I was just sittin there wondering where my multimeter was...still can't remember, I packed it up during the move and it's AWOL still.

Anyways, here is what I did.

I hooked one side up to just the woofer using the atereo amp. Hooked the other side up(just woofer) and ran it to the receiver. Then took a baseline off the receiver side. Twisted on the knob till db's matched. Switched the setup to the other side, same process and WHAMO. Highs/mids/tweets line up much better. Things are centered as they should be(test tracks). Why didn't that approach come to mind much earlier?

Tho, the multi would have been easier(less walking back and forth), its what I would have done IF I could find the silly thing.

And just to tell y'all....I really, really like the bi-amping. Cleaner and more focused sound. It really tightned up the timbre across the front, seems to have helped the surrounds some too. I'll slap in the AVIA disc soon and really test that out.

Thanks for the help.