Bi-Amp/Wire Questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnCro, Feb 12, 2003.

1. JohnCro

JohnCro Extra

Jan 21, 2003
    My system consists of a new Sunfire Theater Grand III receiver, Sunfire TrueSub, Martin Logan speakers, Aerius i/cinema/scripts. I have a Adcom 7500 Amp (5x150), I recently purchased (today) a Parasound 2205a Amp (220x5). My question is how to allocate the power/channels most advantageously. I am planning on future expansion of at least surround back speakers and possibly side axis speakers. (the TGIII is 9.1 capable).
    My main concern right now is my existing 5.1 setup. The Aeruis i speakers are bi-ampable/wireable, should I bi-amp them? Using the Parasound for bi-amping the mains plus the center channel (total of 5 channels) and the Adcom for the existing rears plus future expansion? Or Bi-amp the mains using the Parasound and the Adcom? Can you use two seperate amps to bi-amp?
    Should I forget the Bi-amping and just bi wire the Mains?
    How do you physically bi-Amp? Do you need Y connectors on the processor to accept the extra amp line in?
    Please feel free to jump in and make suggestions, they will be appreciated.
  2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Aug 5, 1999

The benefits of bi-amping and bi-wiring are a hotly debated topic. Some people say they can hear a difference, others say they can’t.

I suggest you do some listening tests with only the front L/R speakers with a variety of sources – primarily music. Try switching both amps between both the highs and lows to see if one combination does a better job than the other. If you feel there is a sonic improvement over straight single-amp-channel connections, the by all means bi-amp.

Generally I would only bi-amp the front three speakers, if you decide to go that route. The rears are of lesser importance, sonically speaking. Especially, it might be difficult to recognize improvements for speakers that are behind you.