bi-amp vs. bi-wire

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_Reznik, Oct 1, 2001.

1. Mike_Reznik

Mike_Reznik Stunt Coordinator

I recently got a great deal on a B&K Ref7270 7x200 amp, and I was toying around with the idea of bi-amping my main speakers intead of using the extra two channels for the 7.1 surrounds. I heard that you get the best performance out of a good speaker if you bi-amp it.
    However I'm a little nervous about throwing that much power at the speaker. The speaker would be either the Paradigm Studio 100 v2 or the B&W Nautilus 804. Both are rated at about 200 wpc max. I would basically be taking a splitter to the pre-amp out from my processor and splitting the signal between two channels on the B&K amp. I would run two sets of speakerwires from the amp to the speakers, one for the tweeters & mids and one for the drivers. In total that would be about 400wpc to the main speakers.
    Is this a bad idea?
    ------------------

2. James Mudler

James Mudler Stunt Coordinator

Here is a link for you. I bi-amped my left and right fronts and triamped the center, and amazed at the difference. You will need some external crossovers.
    http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm
    ------------------
    Luke, I'm your father

3. Tor Arne

Tor Arne Stunt Coordinator

He won't need external crossovers because he will still be using the crossovers in the speakers.
    You won't be pumping any more power into the speakers than they need to play a certain volume. That means that if you play at the same levels as before them you-ll only "pump" the same amount of power into them.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I believe Tor Arne is somewhat correct, in saying that you are not putting 400W into the speaker technically, you are putting 200W to each driver, which is very nearly the same as you would be doing if you were providing one 200W source to both. Each has to be independently crossed over through it's dedicated inputs, but the amp no longer has to drive BOTH speakers together on the single channel. This way the amp does not have to work as hard driving each channel.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)

5. Mike_Reznik

Mike_Reznik Stunt Coordinator

That makes sense, it is still only 200 wpc just separate channels powering the driver and the mid and tweet. So that being said, is it worth it to use two 200 watt channels in this manner? Will it make that much of a difference? Or would I be better off using the additional channels for the 7.1?
    -Mike
    ------------------

6. James Mudler

Sorry for the confusion. After looking at speakers he can biamp by using the internal passive crossovers. Major oversight on my part.
    He still could look into a external crossover for the low end. The passive crossovers are still robbing extra power and some dynamics could be increased with a external crossover. But with caution, Most speaker manufactures have designed each crossover with saturation, impedence shifts, driver senitivity, and driver placement on the baffle and slope. Going to a external x-o will change this relationship and with out help from the manufacuter and testing equipment it could be hard to justify.
    ------------------
    Luke, I'm your father

7. James Mudler

Mark,
    I started the reply during lunch and got pulled away so sorry the last response did not answer your question. I would use the extra channels for 7.1 if you processor supports it.
    I recently upgraded to 7.1 (Lexicon DC-2) and it is real nice. I would crap the bi-amp idea and go 7.1 IMHO.
    ------------------
    Luke, I'm your father

8. Andy_A

Andy_A Second Unit

I would go ahead and bi-amp. You'll probably hear a major difference in performance. As for bi-wiring, there's really no need to do that.

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I say try it both ways and see how each sounds. Stick with the one you like best. [​IMG]

10. Mike Burke

Mike Burke Stunt Coordinator

Mike,
    Based on your speaker choices, I take it you are either dealing with Audio Encounters for the Paradigms or Progressive Audio for the B&W's. If these are not the stores, could you zip me an email [email protected] to let me know about any other stores I should maybe check out. I am new to Ohio and trying to check out all the stores I can.
    Also if you are in the price range of the B&W 804's..have you auditioned the Revel F-30's? They are my favorite speaker in that price range!!! Genesis Audio in Gahanna carries Revel. If you have not heard them..I strongly recommend an audition!!!
    Mike