What's new

Bi-Amp vs Bi-Wire my Speakers - Help! (1 Viewer)

WendellW

Auditioning
Hi all:

I just installed my all-Klipsch 5.1 system (RB-81-Mains, RC-62-Center, RW-10d-SW, and 5650-S-Surrounds) and was reviewing my receiver (Denon 2807) manual and saw that I can take my unused Surround Back amp and "Bi-Amp" my front main speakers, if I chose to. The manual says this would provide "dynamic sound with a range wider than that of full range systems" if I did this.

The Denon is rated at 110x7 watts. So this would take an additional 110w and send them to the Klipsch Mains, WHICH are set up for "bi-WIRING" (and I note the difference between "bi-amp" and "bi-wire").

So my questions are: 1) Can I bi-amp these speakers (rated at 150w/RMS - 600 Peak), and 2) Will i gain any perceptible benefif from this?

Help me please!
Thanks/Wendell

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
It should provide you with you with better dynamics provided they are getting twice the power. In my experiance Bi-amping is good while bi-wiring seems to have no effect. More power better, same power and weird connection just not seeing it.

Seth=L

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Biwiring serves no purpose.

Bi amping generally requires separate amps for maximum benefit. By biamping from a receiver, you are still using the same power supply so the benefit is not as big as having separate amps.

EvanW

Stunt Coordinator
bi wiring doesnt do anything at all, bi amping does, but like john i really dont think bi amping from ur receiver is gonna do much, but go get another power amp and u might hear a difference i dont know, that also depends on ur ears, u could always run ur midbass drivers off ur solid state receiver and get a valvestate for ur mids and ur tweeters and i think ull hear a difference then, i dunno if id do it in revese because most tube amps dont do low freq as well as high but that also depends on the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks