bi-amp question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian AM, Jan 27, 2002.

1. Brian AM

Brian AM Stunt Coordinator

If I was to bi-amp my main speakers, where does the 2nd input from the 2nd channel go? Do you just use a "y" connector to run both interconnects to the receiver's L or R pre-out?

Thanks in advance!

2. Jason Watson

Jason Watson Stunt Coordinator

Yes. In a passive bi-amp config, you use a "T" or "Y" adaptor to split the signal to feed two channels of the amplifier. However some pre-amps have two sets of main outs (I had an old Denon two channel that had two sets) allowing you to skip splitter.

3. Brian AM

Does using the adapter make bi-amping any less desireable?

4. Jason Watson

Well yes and no. Active bi-amping is generaly thought to be better if cost is not much of a factor. If you go the active route,you run one interconnect from each channel into an electronic crossover. The crossover separates the high and low frequency info and sends it out on four(or six for tri-amp) interconnects that you run to the amp/amps. You then bypass the passive crossovers in the speakers(invasive) and dial in the electronic X-over for the smoothest response. It can get 'spensive.
    I have my Magnepan 1.6s passivly bi-amped. They sound better with 750 watts than the mere 375 they would get otherwise.[​IMG]Would love to go active though and see what all the fuss is about.
    Jason

5. Brian AM

Ack.... sounds like the ol' Y connector will have to do it for me... I noticed better cables doesn't make a Y connecotr, are there any high-quality Y connectors out there?

6. Jason Watson

Brian,

Rather than use a "Y", I used a gold plated "T". These "T" fittings have one male and two females. Plug the male into the pre out and run two interconnects off of it down to the amp. Repeat for any other channels you are bi-amping. For an idea of what they look like, go to any Best Buy and look in a Monster Cable,subwoofer cable kit. They include one of these along with a short jumper to allow one cable to feed both inputs on a powered sub.

Most of the "Y" adaptors I have seen did not seem to be of very good quality, and since I am firmly in the "wire makes a difference" crowd, I avoided them. You can get "T" fittings from Parts Express, and may find them locally at car audio shops and electronic parts houses. Also I seem to remember seeing some nice ones on the Welbourn(sp?) Labs site.(Audioasylum.com has a link to Welbourn Labs)

Let me know how your bi-amping experiment goes.

Jason

7. Brian AM

Thank you very much for the input, I'll give the T's a shot! [​IMG]
    Brian