Bi-Amp / Bi-Wire Question (not the same as usual)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Bergeron, Jul 13, 2002.

1. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Ok my question is different than the typical one we get here constantly.

I know what bi-wire and bi-amp are no explanation needed.

I have a Denon POA-5200 which is the power-amp for the 4800 receiver (which I also have).

I have the amp configured to use the POA for my left and right fronts, so my receiver can power my Surround Backs.

I have my left and right front bi-wired. The amp has an A/B switch on it and you can drive both A & B at the same time, yes I know it's the same amp, just 2 outputs.

Would there be anything "wrong" with hooking one side of the bi-wire, say tweeter, to "A" and the other side to "B" and turning them both on??

This would make it easier to connect them, since I don't use the B anyways, I don't need it for anything else. Just wondering if there will be any problem with this?

Thanks

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

You're saying you want to set the amp up so that it's powering both A and B. Then you want to run one set of wires to the tweeter from A and the other set to the lows but from B.
    This should result in no difference since you're still dealing with two channels, A & B, that are pararelled inside. It may provide an easier connection, but that's about it.

3. James Bergeron

Chu, that's what I was hoping for! I figured it would be the same as bi-wiring since it is the same amp inside. Ok I think I'll go for that, it is easier to connect that way and I will not require extra banana plugs if I go that route.

4. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

Never mind.

5. Michael WB

Michael WB Auditioning

I have an old Denon POA-2400 powering my front speakers and have connected them the same way and it works fine.

6. James Bergeron