BHD:Which Version?SE or SB ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by T r o y, Apr 14, 2002.

1. T r o y

T r o y Supporting Actor

If we find out later that the SE of BHD includes a DTS track then I pose a question for ya. How do you want your DTS served for Black Hawk Down? SE or SUPERBIT ? And Why?
    Regards,
    Troy

2. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

SE, which it is going to be, since it will most likely have a commentary track.

3. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

I thought of how they could fit a commentary track on an SB Deluxe. Use a DVD-18 for the feature presentation, with the SB version on one side and a slightly lower bitrate version w/ commentary on the other side. If Artisan can achieve the quality of T2 with three movies (albeit w/ seamless branching) and a commentary on one side of a DVD-18, then surely CTHV can achieve SB quality with the same amount of space.

4. Iain Jackson

Iain Jackson Second Unit

I really don't see why Super-bit DVDs can't have at least one commentary track - as has been reported in this thread, some of them have over 1GB of available space unused, which is more than enough for a commentary track (or two).

5. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

There is little reason why they couldn't fit a commentary track on a superbit. It's only a 2-channel stereo track (heck, it could be mono). There are no specifications for a superbit, so they could certainly include more room for the extra audio track. However, if they keep to their current approach of 5.1 and DTS only, then that would preclude the use of a commentary track (which would make it less of a special edition, IMO).

I would suggest they go the same route they went with Hannibal and Gladiator. One disc with the movie and commentary, and one disc for extras.

6. Hakan Powers

Hakan Powers Stunt Coordinator

Why can't SB Deluxe titles have the movie in a low bitrate version on the second disc and stick commentaries etc. there?

7. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

People, people. Superbit is just a label. Nothing more. I must ask, does it really matter if the cover says "Special Edition" or "Superbit Deluxe"?

8. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

Superbit or not, Charlie de Lauzirikia and Ridley Scott are putting time into this DVD. It will be awesome, and true to the events that occurred in Somalia. That's the bottom line.

Regards,

Dan

9. Andy Kim

Andy Kim Second Unit

I don't think you can have DTS and a commentary both on the same disc if its SUPERBIT.

The fact that there will be a Ridley Scott commentary tells me that it will be a SE release rather than a SUBERBIT...

but you never know, a SUPERBIT release might be done in the future also.

10. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

You guys fall into their "Superbit" ploy by actually considering what it would be. Since the video and audio wouldn't be up to "Superbit" standards with a commentary track. Right. [​IMG]

11. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Isn't Superbit catered more toward a narrower market? I would think the aim would be more broad with BHD and a "Special Edition" - not Superbit - would seem to be more appropriate, especially for such a larger scale movie as this. If there are commentaries, I don't think it would be a Superbit anyway.

I would rather have a Superbit since this would guarantee it would be done right, but I'm sure the SE will look and sound quite good. I would think this will be in DTS and I hope it doesn't affect picture quality if the movie is just on one disc. Gladiator is similar in length and it turned out well, so hopefully this one will too.

12. Carol Razavi

Carol Razavi Stunt Coordinator

This movie is too good to be in a SuperBit or Superbit Deluxe line. Just look at the films they've released under that banner(hallow Man, Vertical Limit, Big Hit!). Do we really want BHD in one of those metal cases? We know Columbia can make excellent dvds that just have a "Special Edition" banner. This movie deseves a unique package. And lets just hope that Colunbia doesn't use that horrible looking Special Edition tag that they use on a bunch of their dvds. (Mask of Zorror, Riding in Cars w/ Boys)

This new BHD is already on the top of my list. I hope they announce it real soon!

13. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Me too! I can't wait to find out the specs.

14. Dave H

Dave H Producer

15. Kenneth Vestergaard

Kenneth Vestergaard Stunt Coordinator

I know this is subjective, but remarkably few people consider The Patriot to be a good film.

16. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Amen!

17. Bill J

Bill J Producer

The Patriot is one of the worst war films ever made, in my opinion.

18. Dave H

Dave H Producer

19. Bill J

Bill J Producer

Dave, I don't think it has anything to do with the time period. The Patriot is just a poorly made film.

20. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I admit the film should have been shorter, based on the actual script. There were gaps in the movie that were unnecessarily long. But, the settings and filming were beautiful. And, again, the historical significance of that time period is what pulled me into more. (Keep in mind that it was a relatively small number of people who wanted to be free from King George.) Overall, I liked the movie.

I just wonder, however, how much better this can look with a Superbit since the current transfer is quite good.