1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

BGW 750C as a sub amp - opinions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Eriksen, Nov 3, 2001.

1. Chris Eriksen

Chris Eriksen Stunt Coordinator

Hello Everyone,
    I am thinking about purchasing an older BGW amplifier (model 750C) for my soon-to-be-built DIY sub. All I know is that this amp was designed for live sound applications, and it would feed my sub in excess of 800 watts rms. Does anyone have opinions on the quality of BGW amplifiers, and if they are well-suited for driving a sub in a HT?
    Thanks in advance,
    Chris

2. Chris Eriksen

^

3. Greg Cellini

Greg Cellini Agent

Hi Chris,
    I used a BGW 750 in my keyboard rig. It served me well for many years of heavy road use. Never had a problem with it. Plenty of clean power and they're built like a tank-you could probably weld with damn things ;-). If you have only one sub, you can run it "bridged" and increase the output. The only "down-side" is that they are quite heavy and the colling fan may be a bit on the noisy side.
    Cheers,
    Greeg

4. Chris Eriksen

Greg,
    Thank you for your reply. I think I will pick up the 750C in the next week or two. What are your thoughts on driving a load below 8 ohms bridged with the 750? My planned DIY uses a sub with a rated impedance of 6.6 ohms (go figure). I am assuming I won't have any problems, considering the build quality of the amp.
    Thanks again,
    Chris

5. Greg Cellini

Greg Cellini Agent

Hi Chris,
    6.6 Ohms should not be a problem. I'd be a bit concerned with any load under 4 ohms when bridging the amp. Anything between 6 and 8 ohms should be well within the amplifier's operating load when bridged. You may want to ask the seller about the owners manual. I recall that it was very well written and informative.
    Best wishes,
    Greg

6. Chris Eriksen

Thanks! [​IMG]