What's new

BFI to release "Godzilla" and "The Mysterians" (1 Viewer)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Godzilla
- 1.33:1
- Original Japanese mono
- Optional English subtitles
- Full voiceover commentary
- 12 Japanese Fishermen: short film
- Featurette on the Godzilla suit
- Feature on adaptation from original short story to finished film
- Original poster/stills gallery

The Mysterians
- 2.35:1 anamorphic
- Original Japanese mono
- Optional English subtitles
- Original press book
- Poster and stills gallery
- Biographies

The specs came from Play.com who are asking �14.99 each, so order through Bensons, who always have the lowest prices for BFI discs.

Godzilla will be the restored, original 98-minute version, of course. A pity that we don't also get the USA re-edit with Raymond Burr re-shoots.

I have the superb region 1 edition of The Mysterians, so I won't be double-dipping.

I can't wait!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
What region will this be and, PAL/NTSC?

Wasn't the R4 Australian 50th Anniversary Edition also supposed to be a brand new completely restored and uncut transfer?

It also features both the original '54 cut alongside the 1956 US version. Plus uses the original poster art.

I think we're gonna have to wait for reviews on this one.

Also, didn't Classic Media indicate that they were working on a release for later in '06? I think USA Today even ran a short article in which a rep. from the company got a little upset because the negotiations over licensing rights or something hadn't been finalized...

I'm sure that by the end of next year, we should finally have a proper version of this film in our DVD collections.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
This will be a region 2 PAL transfer.

Yes, the 2004 Australian release featured both versions: Available HERE.

The USA theatrical rights to the film are owned by Rialto Pictures. Most Rialto releases are released by Criterion, but I have read that Criterion do not have the rights. Who are Classic Media? What have they released in the past?

Once I get the BFI DVD, I'll post my thoughts.

Thanks, Marco.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
No problem.

Classic Media is (I believe) a subdivision of Sony.

I'm not too familiar with their output apart from their animated TV library which consists of the Famous Studios Harveytoons characters, Casper, Mr. Magoo Show, etc. They also released the Rocky & Bullwinkle box sets over here.

I don't know how on earth they would have obtained the distribution rights to release Godzilla here in R1, but it had been reported by the Times and rumored for some time, from what I understand.

Anyways, please let us know how the BFI set turns out. It's about time that we had a decent version of this film in it's original form!

Joseph Goodman

Stunt Coordinator
Classic Media is not a subdivision of Sony; their titles are simply distributed by Sony Music.

Classic Media got the rights by acquiring the UPA library, which included the US version of the original "Godzilla" among others, and they have since also acquired the Japanese version of the Toho titles they have the rights to. DVD releases are planned for summer of 2006.

http://www.clubtokyo.org/discuss/vie...er=asc&start=0

(this post explains the situation in much clearer detail)

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I just picked up the Austrailian DVD of "Godzilla" at Amoeba in LA and it is definitely not the restored version...its fill of scratches and is not a very sharp presentation..The "Raymond Burr version has a very bad 5.1 mix with the voices coming from the rear channels.
Last year I picked the Japanese DVD while I was in Tokyo and althoug it has no English subtitles, the quality is excellent and is restored.
I hope when it is released in the US it is the restored version.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Joseph, that lini is verboten, unfortunately. Which other films are part of the UPA library? Thanks for clarifying the situation, Joseph. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks