What's new

BFI 2K Restoration of 1951's SCROOGE! (1 Viewer)

RobertMG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Just got the BFI"s 2K restoration of 1951's SCROOGE issued by Renown labeled a 150th Anniversary Limited Edition as Mr Dickens died in 1870. Had to buy a multi region player to play it and it was worth it. the picture quality is the best I have seen-yes there are some speckles a line or two but the image is razor sharp and contrast - grey scale are nearly perfect. Hope VCI can get the rights back to this classic - and reissue the disc using this transfer! They could take off any speckles and correct minor things and make the resulting release the definitive release on home video!
1612545701451.png

Last edited:

RobertMG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I know VCI which took TLC of the film over the years wants the film back after having it for 40 decades - problem is no matter how great the House of Mouse is they are too big and I know finding the contact to renegotiate a return to VCI is a nearly impossible feat ---- hey does anyone know the right person at Disney VCI can reach out too????? Disney got the rights to the film when they bought FOX and we all know they have no interest in releasing a 1951 Brit film that another studio produced!

Last edited:

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
How would Disney have this film? And for that matter, how would Fox - they've never had any claim to it as far as I know.

RobertMG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
How would Disney have this film? And for that matter, how would Fox - they've never had any claim to it as far as I know.
A company called Gold Key Entertainment had the film for years - that's who VCI had their deal with - then through corporate mergers it would up at 4 Star (which originally produced The Rifleman) 4 Star 4 star was bought by Fox so through corporate deals they got the film remember HOME ALONE their is a clip of the film while Kevin is in the kitchen and the tv is on ---- in recent years Fox Movie Channel had a Christmas Eve-Day marathon airing of the film! The when Disney bought FOXs film holdings they got the film! Here is one post from VCI's FB Page
Author
VCI Classic Films
Sadly no, we can not sell this great classic at this time. We are trying to re-license it from the studio though, so think good positive thoughts for us!

And with Disney ALTHOUGH they are a great company holding the rights the film will remain in limbo - it was not even shown on TCM this past Dec!

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Just got the BFI"s 2K restoration of 1951's SCROOGE issued by Renown labeled a 150th Anniversary Limited Edition as Mr Dickens died in 1870. Had to buy a multi region player to play it and it was worth it. the picture quality is the best I have seen-yes there are some speckles a line or two but the image is razor sharp and contrast - grey scale are nearly perfect. Hope VCI can get the rights back to this classic - and reissue the disc using this transfer! They could take off any speckles and correct minor things and make the resulting release the definitive release on home video!
1612556722356.png
I really wish BFI's Blu-ray release for this hadn't been cancelled, as I would have been all in for purchasing it at that time! So heartbreaking!! :(

RobertMG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I really wish BFI's Blu-ray release for this hadn't been cancelled, as I would have been all in for purchasing it at that time! So heartbreaking!! :(
Give the dvd a try it is really stunning Got mine at Amazon UK

RobertMG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Took only 10 days to arrive from England - took me only 10 minutes to get the player hooked up! The only thing I found left out and which VCI's recent restoration restored is the scene where Scrooge is eating and Marley appears and Scrooge jumps back to the fireplace in the BFI restoration he does NOT yell

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Give the dvd a try it is really stunning Got mine at Amazon UK
Besides the fact I can no longer afford to purchase videos on even a semi regular basis, I don't care to deal with the 4% PAL speedup that would be a non existent issue on the Blu-ray format. I just have to be content with the 2012 VCI Blu-ray. Like I said, it's a shame that Renown refuses to do an HD release for an HD restoration, apparently on account of their flawed assertion that the number of potential extra customers could be counted on the fingers of one hand. For a region free Blu-ray, this would be a rare purchase for me, but not for a Region 2 DVD, especially when I already have a decent (though imperfect) Blu-ray of this title, thank you very much.

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

RobertMG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Besides the fact I can no longer afford to purchase videos on even a semi regular basis, I don't care to deal with the 4% PAL speedup that would be a non existent issue on the Blu-ray format. I just have to be content with the 2012 VCI Blu-ray. Like I said, it's a shame that BFI refuses to do an HD release for an HD restoration, apparently on account of their flawed assertion that the number of potential extra customers could be counted on the fingers of one hand. For a region free Blu-ray, this would be a rare purchase for me, but not for a Region 2 DVD, especially when I already have a decent (though imperfect) Blu-ray of this title, thank you very much.

I think it is Renowns call on the blu

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I think it is Renowns call on the blu
You are correct, and I have edited my previous post accordingly, thank you! :)

Perhaps Renown should grant VCI or some other North American company the OK to use the 2K BFI restoration print for future Blu-ray release, since they won't release it in that format themselves? It seems such a shame that a stunning transfer should be deprived of the best possible presentation!

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
I know VCI which took TLC of the film over the years wants the film back after having it for 40 decades - problem is no matter how great the House of Mouse is they are too big and I know finding the contact to renegotiate a return to VCI is a nearly impossible feat ---- hey does anyone know the right person at Disney VCI can reach out too????? Disney got the rights to the film when they bought FOX and we all know they have no interest in releasing a 1951 Brit film that another studio produced!

Sad.

RobertMG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
You are correct, and I have edited my previous post accordingly, thank you! :)

Perhaps Renown should grant VCI or some other North American company the OK to use the 2K BFI restoration print for future Blu-ray release, since they won't release it in that format themselves? It seems such a shame that a stunning transfer should be deprived of the best possible presentation!

The problem is the House of Mouse is just too big and finding the right person to deal with is crazy ----bet they do not even know they now have the film - thats the interesting part of law that in different countries you have different studios owning rights ---- u should check out the really interesting read on Turner vs PC Films regarding King of Kings 1961! Bronston sold off rights like candy but MGM footed the bill and and one word would ensure MGM/WB got the film that MGM would have full right in "Perpetuity" thats how MGM had their legal team work and that in the long won WB their case ---- glad they did because they have treated that film with real respect! https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/FSupp/954/711/1488723/

RobertMG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Agree - - - - - -plus covid is further complicating contacting! Tried calling some contacts and they are all outdated or they do not return the call - thats why I picture them saying what's 1951's Scrooge???

Last edited:

Bartman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Hopefully someone will compare this new Blu-ray with the VCI. I had the excellent Roan laserdisc so when VCI announced the Blu-ray I contacted them and they put me in touch with the person in charge of restoration, Tiffany Beseau-Clayton. She assured me VCI had the very best elements to work with, that they were taking great care in the restoration and Scrooge would look better than any previous version. That sold me, I bought the Blu-ray and after numerous viewings, I have never been disappointed.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Speaking of Renown's "A Christmas Carol", have any of you seen this item before? I just found it at the Value Village around the corner.
IMG_5671.jpg
IMG_5672.jpg
IMG_5673.jpg
IMG_5674.jpg
IMG_5675.jpg
Can we start agitating for a restored version from some boutique publisher?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Strubdog