BFD vs. 1014tx

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Benihana, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Benihana

Benihana Stunt Coordinator

Will the MCACC/EQ adjustments on the VSX-1014tx be enough to do what the Behringer feedback destroyer does as far as EQing the sub to the room? and is the bass management good enough to not warrant a purchase of the OUTLAW ICBM??

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

The 1014 does not control frequencies below 63Hz or so. It will essentially have no effect on your subwoofer. If you want more control over the sub EQ, you'll still need the Feedback Pro.

3. Benihana

what about as far as bass management?

4. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

Are you talking about using the BFD's crossover? I would think the crossover settings in the receiver will do fine. On my parametric EQ I've got the crossover bypassed.

5. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

Er, what is the crossover in the BFD of which you speak? I have a BFD, but had no idea there was this sort of functionality. Given the outputs, I don't get what it could do... :b

Thanks,
    Martin.

6. Benihana

well i was referring it against the outlaw ICBM as far as bass management

7. Joe Mihok

Joe Mihok Second Unit

The 1014 TX eq's as low as 40hz. I was just in the "Manual MCACC" section 5 minutes ago on my reciever and indeed there is a 40hz option. Right now I have everything set to small at 80z so the 40hz option is non-selectable. I have a BFD and it is a MUST. The 1014 can't touch the amount of fine tuning the BFD can do.

8. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

The 1014 doesn't eq the LFE channel so it has no functionality compared to using a BFD.

9. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

Plus it has no similar functionalitly as to what the ICBM does if I understand what you are using it for. I believe the BFD does have a low cutoff and a high cutoff (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but that would be applied only to the signal going out to the sub. The ICBM takes the input, applies a given crossover point to it, and outputs a separate sub channel. Seems like most people use it on universal players for SACD and DVD-A because generally the bass management on most universal players seems to be lacking the lower crossover settings around 80hz or so. Seems like a lot of them are set to 100 or even 120.

10. John Tami

John Tami Stunt Coordinator

One nice thing the MCCAC does do is set it for proper "sonic" distance and delay. My front's and Sub are all 13' away. It setup the sub as being 16.5' away. (its corner loaded 13.5' away from me. MCCAC properly reads the sonic distance. Try doing that with hand!)

My SVS has never sounded so smooth and sweet before I got my 1014....