BFD & Sound Quality

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Rus Bowisc, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Rus Bowisc

Rus Bowisc Stunt Coordinator

I've been reading a lot of posts on HT owners putting a BFD in their signal chain (subs).

I'm curious to know how much will the BFD deteriorate your sound? Will it make a noticeable difference having the Behringer in the path?

Rus

2. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

The only difference I noticed was my much improved frequency response.

I have read that it does noticably affect the sound if you try and use it for the rest of the frequency spectrum.

3. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

The excuse for using a cheap piece of digital equipment like the BFD is, we can't hear distortion and noise as well at low (bass) frequencies, so it is perfectly acceptable for equalizing a subwoofer. I bet the sound degradation would be immediately noticeable if you tried using a BFD full range.

4. Rus Bowisc

Thanks for clarifying... just wanted to make sure before I give it a try.

What is the purpose of setting up a "house-curve" if your original intent was to EQ the sub-woofers to get a flat response as possible?

Bowisc

5. MingL

MingL Stunt Coordinator

I've only got better bass from the introduction of the BFD.

The orignal intent of introducing a BFD is not to get a flat response, but more accurately to get a smooth response, and none of the peaky bass room modes generate.

Flat curve sounds less involving than a house curve. The only way to explain it is to experience it yourself. Try them flat and with a house curve.

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

7. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

8. Rus Bowisc

I just got the BFD in today, so I will give it a try. If I don't like, I'm sure it'll have some purpose in the live rig.

By the way, I have some BBE and Aphex units that would probably work better than your BassPro unit... have you ever tried 'em? They certainly wouldn't leave as much residue on your signal path as the Behringer. The Aphex Type C with "Big Bottom" is pretty good at adding that low-end, and you'd have a nice top-end sweetener to boot.

Bowisc

9. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

10. Rus Bowisc

And that's my original thread... signal integrity.

Some say the BFD won't impact too much where it works, in the low-end.

Being a newbie to HT, I was surprised how popular the BFD route is for calibrating sub-woofers.

Rus

11. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

My first choice was a Audio Control unit, having had great experience with their Richter Scale and Bijou products, but as you say, they don't make it any more. At the time, I was not e-bay savy, so I went for the UBP.

FWIW, it was pretty cheap (about $120 at the time, cheaper now, I think). I first learned of these things in Howard Ferstler's book, and was intrigued.

There are so many rock CD's that I like that just don't have the low end to my liking. And I would rather not much with my EQ settings. I go for as flat as I can get, and punch in the UBP is I feel the need.

I am not so chained to using it that I would be to worried if a competing product outperformed it. Thats why its in the tape loop!

BGL

12. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

The "tape loop" is not where you want to use most of these devices, but rather you want to put it in the sub-out signal path (only that portion of the signal going to the subwoofer) so it only affects the frequencies in the low-bass region.

This is the intent of using a BFD as a Parametric EQ for only the bass modal room frequencies from the sub-out of the prepro or receiver. This way it doesn't affect the signal integrity of the majority of the frequency spectrum going to the main speakers.

13. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

14. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

15. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

16. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

17. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Wayne- I will have to test that! [​IMG] But I usually use http://www.etfacoustic.com/ for freq response. But I use the Radio Shack meter' microphone with "slow" & C with ETF5... [​IMG]

18. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter