BFD Results

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Barrett, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Matt Barrett

Matt Barrett Extra

These are the results of my first attempt at using the BFD; I would appreciate any feedback since I am new to this unit. My sub is a Cambridge Soundworks P1000.
    I cannot believe how much better it blends with my main speakers now, just about all the boom is gone.
    Another question, I would like to add an SVS 20-39CS+ to my system in another corner of the room, I know I can use the second channel of the BFD to EQ it but what about the receivers delay? I am telling the receiver that my sub is 11 feet away from my main listening position (the couch) (10 feet plus 1 extra because of the BFD) but could I put the SVS sub only 5 feet away from the couch or would I need an extra delay box in the path?
    [​IMG]
    And the filters...
    [​IMG]
    Thanks guys!
    Matt Barrett

2. brucek

brucek Second Unit

Matt,

Looks like you've done a fine job. Your sub extends from 80Hz down to 20Hz very smoothly, you can't ask for much better. I guess you could get picky around 89Hz and 100Hz with a couple narrow bandwidth 5/60 filters to tame that area a bit - but the big job is done.

Timing issues and different models aside, it's hard enough to equalize two subs placed in a corner together. Once you separate them, they tend to excite different room modes and the cancellation of signals is inevitable. Most people agree that the best situation usually comes from two similar subs placed together in a corner.

If your plan is to have the two subs separated, there's not a lot you can do if they're different distances from the listening area.

brucek

3. Matt Barrett

Matt Barrett Extra

Great! It’s nice to see I made something work right for a change. [​IMG]
    As for the two subs, I guess I’ll try to get them both in the same corner, I just measured and it looks like I have enough room. I was more concerned about delays then cancellation but now it makes sense.
    My room seems fairly easy to deal with acoustically so maybe the two together won’t be much of a challenge but we shall see.
    Thanks for the input!

4. Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker Second Unit

Just wanted to say that I second brucek on the graph. It looks like you did a good job. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Matt Barrett

Matt Barrett Extra

Sonnie,

Your awesome guide to the BFD made it possible, thanks!

Matt Barrett

6. Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker Second Unit

Thanks Matt, I'm still working on it and hope it to be even better soon.

7. gomez_a

gomez_a Stunt Coordinator