What's new

BFD my Dayton- BFD then MCACC or??? (1 Viewer)

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Have my Dasyton, have my BFD and a Pio 1014.

Should I BFD my sub, set the filters, THEn run MCACC or should I run MCACC1st, then play with the filters?
I imagine I should BFD 1st, then calibrate via MCACC.

Ilkka R

Second Unit
Real Name
Ilkka
How low does that MCACC extend? 63Hz? Definetely first run MCACC, then BFD your sub. Or if you do it backwards, make sure that MCACC does not mess up your flat sub. I would not let that MCACC thing touch my sub. Actually eq'ing your mains isn't a good thing, atleast don't do big boosts.

If you meant just channel calibration and not eq, then absolutely first BFD, then calibrate.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
MCACC only sets distance and level for sub, no EQ on sub on the Pio 1014.

It does EQ the mains automatically (which I like), starting @ 120hz I believe).

DevinJC

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Dayton as well. And the 1014. From my thinking, getting the sub flat before the MCACC will allow the 1014 to best judge the actual volume of the sub when it's deciding on levels and distances.

I have a freakishly huge peak at 40hz, so I'd rather tame that before MCACC rather than let it be a part of the MCACC analysis, otherwise it seems to me that it would be like running the MCACC and then moving your speakers around.

Ilkka R

Second Unit
Real Name
Ilkka
Yes, that is the correct order. I thought MCACC also EQs sub, sorry for that. BFD is the (only) right tool for that job.

EdwinK

Agent
I have Pioneer (AX10) and BFD as well, as has been said: First flatten response with right sub placement and the BFD, then let the Pioneer adjust level and distance. I am -extremely- happy with the results I get.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
That's what I thought. Thank you.

I now know how I will be spending 4 hours next weekend :)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Hi Mikey

This is a NEAT situation.
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif

Most don't even bother to Pari-eq their sub/s.!

Then, to add, if you have a entry level sub, (a good one at that for Mikey), even fewer would ever consider spending the 80.00 to 100.00 for a BFD. This might & could be for any number of reasons, don't care, lack of cash, my sub is not worth it, maybe even some tinkng I really don't think it will make that big a difference with my cheap low/er end $-->sub".

Well, no matter the sub, Pari eq-ing it can and will make a difference.

Depending on the room (some are much worse than others), there definitely will be a difference in SQ without question. Even possibly some headroom gain depending on what one is dealing with room node wise...

I think many will look forward to what happens once Mikey dose start his FR measureing and then begins his BFD work.
I certaily hope he will write up some type of review of what he thinks of the sub and systems s`ound "Prior and After sub Eq-ing". Maybe some FR plot sheets before and after & then adding his personal subjective write up on the whole thing.

Was it worth the time a money for a simple 129.00 Dayton 10" entry level sub..????

Without knowing his answer to that question, I bet he will certainly say a HUGE & absoluty YES....
Also, if and when he moves up the sub chain, the BFD goes right along with it..

Very much looking forward to your BFD-ing out come. Take your time as that little thin silver box/BFD can take a bit to get used to using... Drove me nuts at first,
but once you figure it out it goes pretty quick. I sold mine, it was the first BFD-model, BUT (I still run a Pari-Eq) on my subs, just a little higher quaility unit now is all.

I at least, look forward to what you think after it's all said and done. I know of NO one running a so called low/er end entry level sub & using a BFD.. Should be interesting to read what you find and feel about eq-ing you TM-II...:cool:

Regards
Geoff ¥

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Actually, a couple of guys here run the BFD with the Dayton.
I should be at least plotting my frequency chart next week.

After I post the chart, I may ask for some tips on setting filters based on my findings.
Right now the Dayton is noticeably better then the 8" HK it replaced.

Figured I would buy the BFD since I wil be able to use it for my next sub upgrade as well. Unfortunately, that probably won't happen until I have my own house. The Dayton can already be felt/heard in the downstairs Apt of the 2 family home I now live in :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks