What's new

BFD + MIDI Control ??? (1 Viewer)

Shawn Fogg

Stunt Coordinator
Anybody use the Behringer MIDI software to control their BFD?

I was playing around with the software and my 1124 tonight. I get the two talking to each other and I can adjust the filters using the software and hear the changes being made but I can't figure out how to save the filters in the BFD. Anybody know? I've tried the options on the 6 pages of midi setup controls but they don't help.

I can say adjust Bank 4 L Filter 1 to be 31hz 20/60 bandwidth -6db and hear/measure the change but if I use the front panel to try to confirm the filter settings it is nothing like that setting.

Changing banks then going back to 4 and the audible/measurable changes are lost and the unit is doing what the front panel says. It is *much* easier to adjust the BFD though software but if the settings won't stick it isn't much use.

Thanks,

Shawn

Mike Dr

Stunt Coordinator
you got further than I did.. what were the settings u used to get the 2 talking? does it require that both the in and out midi cables are plugged in? what did u set the bfd to to receive?.. personally if i could adjust with the pc i'd be happy enough since i could just write down the settings in the worst case and just input them manually later.

FrankD

Stunt Coordinator
What did you use to connect the BFD to your computer. Cables and places to buy them? I would like to try this myself too.

Regards

TerryC

Stunt Coordinator
If I remember right you need to go up to the Berhringer when all is finished and hit the store button twice.

Can you repeat the process you used? I did it long ago and trid to repleat it again a couple weeks ago but couldn't get the computer to sync with the behringer.

Shawn Fogg

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,
"you got further than I did.. what were the settings u used to get the 2 talking? does it require that both the in and out midi cables are plugged in?"
Yes, I had both in and out cables connected.
In my laptop I had to have both the MIDI port and the joystick port enabled. Just midi didn't work, I think the joystick/midi converter uses power from some of the joystick pins so with that disabled it wasn't working. The IN on the cable goes to the out on the BFD and vice/versa for the OUT. Make sure you have no confilcts in the windows device manager.
For midi control settings I tried a bunch of settings. Channel and omni mode didn't seem to matter much as long as the software was configured the same as the BFD.
I had:
Controller set to 4.
Program set to 3
Store Enable set to 1
and played with Dump settings at 1 and 2... I think 1 worked best
I think the big trick though was realising that there is no feedback given that the two connect. Set the Dump to 1 then just press any other key to exit midi mode.
From that point on if you make changes on the front panel they should echo in the software and vice versa. A simple test is to use the software to uncouple the two DSP engines and the front panel display should follow that. Also be sure in the software the I/O button is selected. You should then be able to dial in filters and hear them change in real time. If you make a change but don't hear it take effect press the LOAD then STORE button on the filter overview screen in the software, that makes it take effect but doesn't really seem to store it in the bank.
Other then that it takes time playing with the software to figure out what most of it does, there is no online help.
A Hint if you leave the channels uncoupled.... make sure you use the correct text boxes to type in the filter characteristics or it will overwrite the work you have already done.
".. personally if i could adjust with the pc i'd be happy enough since i could just write down the settings in the worst case and just input them manually later. "
That is what I did but it is *SO* much easier to do it on the computer, plus you can see how the filters interact. If you want a filter at 33.5 hz you just type it in, no need to fool around with the 1/60 setting to get you there.
Frank,
You need to have a MIDI port on your computer. You probably have one built into your joystick port. Other then that you need to have the MIDI drivers loaded on your machine and a joystick to midi adapter cable.
I bought the adapter/cable from this guy on e-bay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1503106012
Depending upon your laptop you may need some special cord (or docking station) to get at the joystick port. My ThinkPad 760 needed one, got that on E-bay too. The cables cost nearly half of what the BFD.
Terry,
Thanks, I'll try that. I don't seem to have any problem talking to the BFD now. I've shutdown the computer several times and have always been able to reconnect and make changes but just can't seem to get the BFD to keep them.
Shawn

FrankD

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Paul, that sound like a great price. I found it on CompUSA and will be ording the MIDI cable. Hopefully I can succuessfully use the Behringer based on the above notes.

TerryC

Stunt Coordinator
Paul, thats my old post! Thanks for bringing it up, will have to use it again since I forgot how I originally did it!

BTW-Did you save that way back then or find it with the search function?

Danny Owens

Agent
You can pick up a USB to MIDI adapter box at any music store for about 50 bucks. I use the USB port on my laptop to configure the BFD. It beats dragging out the desktop :) .
Danny

BruceD

Screenwriter
You can also get a parallel port to MIDI adapter as well from Midiman:
Link Removed
The website is really slow (too much Flash)

FrankD

Stunt Coordinator
Wow more great information. A few questions.

Bruce,

I looked at Midiman and found no such cable adapter - Parallel to Midi. Are you using this method and will it, or does it, work Okay?

Danny,

Your suggestion of using a USB adapter box actually sounds very good because I have many USB port on my Laptop but no game ports.

Danny, do you know where on the internet one can find such a box or adapter? I am assuming you are using yours without any problems? Was it easy to tell the Behringer software to look for this adapter?

Cheers,

Frank Dodaro

Danny Owens

Agent
Frank,
What Bruce is talking about I believe is the same thing that I have; but uses a parallel port instead of USB.
The one I have is made by Midiman also; and, I got it at Guitar Center. It's called the USB Midisport 2 x 2. However, any music store (keyboard oriented) will have them. I don't know if you guys have Guitar Centers there in the Great White North.
I had no problem connecting to the BFD. You will need 2 midi cables. The Midiman comes with a USB cable and drivers. However, the Midiman is detected by Windows once it is plugged into the USB. You install the drivers, hook up the midi cables to and from the BFD, start the BFD software, and play. Is that why they call it Plug and Play :) ?
If you do go this route, ; let me know and I'll help you work it out. Seems that there were a couple of "things" that I had to do (I don't recall off the top of my head), but it didn't take more than five minutes from the time I
opened the midiman till I was programming the BFD.
Danny

FrankD

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Danny, I believe I will try to get the midi to usb connector,
I did some research tonight and do have a few questions:
Since the Behringer seems to need only one midi in and one midi out than will the lower end version from Midiman do? ie. the USB Minisport 1 x 1 - Link Removed
IS there a difference?
I did find another usb to midi connector (similiar to the 1 x 1 midisport). It is the Roland UM-1 - http://www.cdbm.com/shop/detail.cgi?id=135250
The Roland appears to be new and even more compact.
Presently I am looking for a dealer for both products near where I live in Toronto, Canada. I called Muscians Friend and they cannot deliver the product here due to area restrictions.
Regards
Frank Dodaro

Danny Owens

Agent
Frank,
Yes, a single channel is all you need. The 2 x 2 was the same price as a single channel unit when I bought it so I just got the 2 channel.
It doesn't have to be Midiman, any unit will work. There has to be a music store of decent size in Toronto :) .
Danny

FrankD

Stunt Coordinator
Well Danny I ended up buying the Midiman 2 x 2 as it was the only one in stock. A few questions:

1. I am using my laptop. The light on the front of the Midiman 2 x 2 for the USB seems to be dimming brightly on and then almost off about every two seconds. Is this normal?

2. In testing (on program one and filter one) it appears that in order for the item from the computer to be accepted by the Behringer 1100P that I must adjust all items or the Behringer will not pick up all the items - it will only pick up the ones that I have changed. ie. I changed the frequency of the first filter to 30 hz and gain to 1 but left the bandwidth to 60/60 and mode to PAR in the computer program. Now I believe the only way for the Behringer to accept any changes at all was to hit the store button twice on the Behringer unit. When I went to check these adjustments on the Behringer it took the 30 hz and gain but did not take the default bandwidth of 60/60 of the computer program (I already had the mode on the Behringer set to PAR from before). Is this correct? Must I change all items on all filters before they can be accepted by the Behringer?

3. Is there a way to upload all the info that I have in the Behringer (from my prior manual ajdustments) to the software program? Alternatively is there a way to make all items in the Behringer equal to the computer?

4. I did try to use the 6th page of the Midi area of the Behringer and tried to set it to 1d and then 2d and hitting store on Behringer with no luck of exchanging any data. I also tried to combine this with hitting the update and receive buttons on the software program with no luch either.

5. The manual talks about a starting a sequencer? What is this and will it help?

By the way I have set the software midi settings on my laptop to:

Input = In-A USB MidiSport 2x2

Output = Out-A USB MidiSport 2x2

(And yes, my computer does talk to the Behringer and visa versa - ie. if I adjust Behringer then my computer updates itself and if I adjust computer software then Behringer updates)

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Frank Dodaro

Danny Owens

Agent
Frank,
I am out of town on business right now and will back home on Friday. I will have to hack around and try to find an answer to your questions. Of course, you may have your own answer by then :) .
Danny

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks