BFD input/output levels problem

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Christopher E, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Christopher E

Christopher E Stunt Coordinator

Hi guys, I just got a BFD a few days ago, but I'm having a problem with volume levels.

I tried running the sub output from my Denon 1803 through the BFD, but I got no readings on the input level LEDs, and the sub wasn't even recieving a loud enough signal to turn on. I found that if I used test tones, and turned the volume up extremely loud I would get the first 2 green lights to turn on, but this is way above the volume level that I would actually litsen at.

A bass test tone that would produce 75db or so when plugged directly into my sub doesn't even register at all on the input level meter.

I'm using a Denon 1803 for subwoofer output, and hooking up to the BFD via RCA to 1/4 inch converters (Ratshack) using the -10db home setting.

The converters say "Phono Jack to 1/4 inch Stereo Phone Plug." Maybe I'm using the wrong ones. Could the impedence of the RCA to 1/4 inch converters be the problem? Is it possible the unit is messed up in some way?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Bill Polley

Bill Polley Second Unit

it should be rca to 1/4" mono adapters...not stereo. This MAY be the problem. otherwise...how high is the subwoofer channel turned up on the receiver's calibration area. Simply turning up the subwoofer output on the receiver may do it. There should be one cable from the subwoofer output at the receiver to one side of the BFD. Also, what is the gain switch on the back of the BFD set to...+4 or -10? it should be set to -10.

If you haven't already read it, here is a great source of information on BFD setup:

http://www.snapbug.ws/bfd.htm

Sorry, just reread your post and saw you have it set to -10. Duh! I should have read a little closer before I replied!

3. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Agree with Bill, you bought the wrong adapter.

Radio Shack carries the "mono" adapters, just go for an exchange.

You want the same size adapter in "mono" not "stereo"

4. Christopher E

Christopher E Stunt Coordinator

I picked up some mono adapters and they worked perfectly. Problem solved, now time for some EQ'ing.

Thanks for the help guys!