What's new

BFD help (1 Viewer)

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
OK, I know there are lits of post here on this, but after searching I cant find what I need.
I just got this thing and have a few questions to get me going.
1. Does the green light on the in/out button has to be green to have the EQ active?
2. I am using a mono signal, both L/R signals are coupled, is this right?
3. On the filter led readout the 1st filter is not lighting up, I did make an adjustment here, I think. Does this mean that this filter is active?
4. could someone here give me a couple of links on this board to some detailed how to instructions on this unit?
Thanks again
Earle
------------------

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
The green light is on when the BFD is in the circuit. I believe the instruction book has it backwards.
Both sides do not have to be coupled, but I believe they are by default on memory positions 4 and 5. This is harmless unless you need them separate. I have never had occassion to uncouple them, so can't offer help on how to.
If a filter is not lighted, it is not "on".
The only detailed how to instructions I know of myself are those contained in the Avanced section that can be located by doing a search for BFD.
Hope this helps a little.
Deane

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Deane<
Thanks for the info.
I have another question:
If I use program 4 for my adjustments, and make the needed adjustments, everything is going good at this point. Then if I change programs with the filter mode off, then go back to program 4, my filters are gone. Is this normal? Shouldnt the adjustments stay in program 4? i am pressing the store button 1 time to save each filter.
Thanks again
Earle
------------------

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Deane,
Hopefully things will start going better now. Nothing more frustrating than entering all the adjustments and suddenly there gone, not to mention that it seemed like it wasnt doing its thing. Now I know why.
thanks again
Earle
------------------

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Patrick,
I have no problem using program 4, now that I know how to save them. The manual is decent by very unclear on certain details. I havent tried saving on any onther channels yet.
Can you modify the first 3 programs as presets?
I have read about some people using the BFD as a xover, rolling everything under 20hz off. Is this done just by setting up a filter with a -48db gain at 20hz? What should you set your bandwidth at to accomplish this? If you set it to 1 then only 20hz would be cut out, right?
The biggest problem I have is some peaks at 55-65 hz, which I think is muddying up my sound. They are about 5db-7db. Hope to get them out in the AM.
When you set the bandwidth do you set it at 1 or go a little higher? As I understand keeping to 1 allows you to just adjust that one frequency, while increasing the number spreads it out over more frequencies, to the max of 2 octaves if its set to 120. Is this correct?
Thanks
Earle
------------------

Dax Scott

Stunt Coordinator
I recommend going to Behringer's website and downloading the software for the BFD. You can see a graph of exactly what your filters are doing to the original signal by using this software. I found this very valuable for figuring out how each filter would affect neighboring frequencies as I change the gain, bandwidth, etc.
The website is here: http://www.behringer.de/
Or you can just use this direct link to the software if you don't want to see the rest of the website.
By the way, you can use all 12 presets, just be sure you change the filter type to "PA" if you're using one of the presets that was originally set to stop feedback.
------------------
Dax R. Scott - DVD Addict
Ask yourself... what would Ditka do?

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
I just wanted to thank everyone here for their help in using the BFD.
This thing is great. Once you get a feel for it, peaks go away easily while you can easily give a slight bump down low.
I got my response flat with 3db in about 1hr, plus added alittle extra at around 20-30hz.
Again thanks everyone this forum is the best.
Earle
------------------

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Just one more question
I was scouring the manual and cant find how you remove a filter from a program. Its probably obvious but after looking and experimenting the only way I can find to remove a filter is to reset all programs.
Thanks
Earle
------------------

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
Set the filter to no gain or loss and it automatically drops out. You can also set the "mode of operation" for that filter to OF (meaning off) and it goes away. Save the new setting to memory.
Deane

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Thanks for the help. I just stumbled on the way to shut each filter off, no gain adj.
Do you know how to set the filters as a low pass crossover? Some people have mentioned setting up 2 filters at -12 db at 20hz. Wouldnt this only affect 20hz and not below? The bandwidth thing is confusing me. How many frequencies are you grabbing if you set it to 10? I understand that 60 would be 1 octiave,120 is 2 octaves. Is the common setting 1 or slightly higher?
Thanks again
Earle
------------------

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
I do not know how. I have never seen the need to restrict the bottom end reproduction of my sub. There may be one, I've just never figured out what it is.
My Velodyne FSR-18 goes well below 20 Hz. When I can no longer hear, I can feel it. I'm quite happy having it go as low as it wants to.
I'll have to leave it to someone else to answer your question as I don't have the knowledge to do so.
Deane

Timmy

Stunt Coordinator
How many frequencies are you grabbing if you set it to 10
In the BFD manual is a chart showing each filter and how much bandwidth per setting you will get. Don't have the manual in front of me or I'd give you the page number.
------------------

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Timmy,
So if I understand this correctly, if I want to adjust 42hz. I would set the dial at 40hz then +2 to adjust to 42hz and then set bandwidth at 60. This will set 40hz as the centerpoint and will spread out the adjustment over 1 octave. If I set the bandwidth to 20 will I just spread out the adjustment over 1/3 octave or is the bandwidth of 60 needed so the 42hz frequency is the one selected.
If the bandwidth needs to be at 60 to select at certain frequency, how do you only adjust 1 select frequency? I assumed just set the bandwidth to 1 or 1/60 of an octave.
Thanks
Earle
------------------

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
Earle:
Your description is the proper way to get the filter to center on 42 Hz. Changing the bandwidth will leave the center on 42 Hz, it will just broaden or narrow the filter action.
The bandwidth does not have to be at 60 to select 42 Hz. It can be anything.
View the bandwidth and fine controls as two separate entities that don't affect each other. At least thats my take on it.
Deane

StephenL

Second Unit
To set a filter with a center frequency of 42 Hz press the Frequency key and turn the jog wheel until 40 Hz is displayed. Press the Fine key and turn the jog wheel until +4 is displayed. The Fine key adjusts the ISO frequency in increments of 1/60 of an octave. See Table 6.1 on page 28 to convert the desired frequency to increments of 1/60 of an octave.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks