BFD (Behringer Feedback Destroyer) Parametric EQ "Setup Instructions Simplified"

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Sonnie Parker, Jan 27, 2002.

1. Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker Second Unit

I have recently finished this and thought it might come in helpful/useful for some.
    As stated in the instructions, I am open to comments, suggestions, corrections, etc.
    It is long but it is very comprehensive and detailed to the best of my ability. I'm sure there will be some updating all along.
    BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide
    SP

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Good job, Sonnie. I learned how to use mine by just messing around with it--it sure would have been quicker & easier if a tutorial like yours existed then.

It will be a great help to those who just got one or are getting one down the road.

Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

DJ

3. Chris White

Chris White Second Unit

Nice work Sonnie. I have a feeling that anyone who doesn't already own a BFD is going to look at your instructions and find it hard to believe that they are "simplified." [​IMG]
    BTW, I developed a spreadsheet much like Bruce's, but I completely overlooked the usefulness of the graph. It provides a very useful visual overview.
    A suggestion -- I added another row with variance (=var(b7 : b27) so that I could track the smoothness statistically.
    Another suggestion -- if you have the filters available, add the following filters: -48db 1.0 khz, -48db 1.25 khz, -48db 1.63 khz, -48dB 2.0 khz These filters eliminate the harmonic distortion and/or buzzing that often occur with subs. (Or so I've been told.)
    One question -- Why are you measuring up to 160 hz? Is your crossover that high?

4. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

Sonnie,

Really nice job on that site!

Folks, be advised: I normally browse with Opera 6.0. I didn't realize it at the time, but Opera and Netscape 4.78 do not load this site correctly. I get incorrect graphs loaded in place of the figures as Sonnie designed, and get broken pics in place of figures 5, 6, 7. and 9.

OTOH, IE 5.0 browses his site just fine.

Anyone else notice this problem?

5. Patrick_T

Patrick_T Agent

Echoing what everyone else here has said,

excellent job!!.

On another note, yes I am browsing using Internet Explorer on Mac OS X and some of the figures are missing...Fig 5,6,7,9. I just downloaded the word format for my records

6. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

I found that I could print the original URL by setting to landscape and quarter inch side margins. Just barely fit on the page, no need to download the WP doc.

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Chris- To put forth *one* answer for Sonnie [​IMG] in regards to your 160 Hz question:
    A typical crossover is 80 Hz. One octave up is ... 160 Hz. Because of crossover slopes, the sub will still be receiving (and outputting) an appreciable signal even *above* 160 Hz.

8. Sonnie Parker

Thanks for the comps fellows. I suppose I should include at the top of the website that the site is best viewed with IE6. I believe IE5 and up should work fine. Sorry, I don't have another program except Word to build my site with. I believe no matter which way I go there will be some who can't see it.
    I do have a download available on my home page for the IE6. Homepage
    If you are not running IE6 then you might try it...or you could download the Word .doc and see the images if you have Microsoft Word. Even WordPad will show the images. I think every version of Windows comes with WordPad.

9. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    Sonnie, Great Job! I have had the BFD in my closet since Xmas. I am waiting on another sub before I get to work with the BFD and the ETF software.You have made my life much easier with this info.Thanks once again for the great work.

Cheers,

Steve M

10. Rick Radford

Sonnie,

IE 5.0 works fine and shows the info correctly. I had a number of questions when I used my normal browser (Opera6.0) because very few of the graphs made any sense. I don't know why Opera and Netscape fail to load them properly (at least, for me). Just a heads up if others question what they're seeing there.. try a different browser.

I don't really need to d/l the Word doc.

Thanks again for your superb effort on the web page.

11. Sonnie Parker

I've edited quite a bit of the BFD page and narrowed it down so that it can be better viewed when at 800 X 600 resolution. It should print much better as well.

I changed the title to "BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide".

I appreciate the e-mails with suggestions, comments, etc.

SP

12. Bob Christensen

Bob Christensen Stunt Coordinator

Sonnie: You're a good man!

13. Rick Radford

Sonnie,

Quick question for you.

From your excellent site:

14. Sonnie Parker

Sure Rick,

It's kind of a deceiving situation. You might have an unequal bell curve for your peak....or maybe, should I say, two or three peaks (appearing as one peak) very close to each other with different amplitudes. Or you might have a dip close to a peak.

If you look at Figure 3 (my graph) on the BFD page, notice the peak at about 32hz. There is another lower peak at about 25hz and 22hz, but it all blends in together and looks like one peak. Just not a smooth bell curve peak. And I have a dip to the right of the 32hz peak. I tried to widen the bandwidth of the 32hz filter to grab that 25hz peak but it cut my 25hz peak too much and my 50hz dip even more. Thus I had to narrow up my 32hz peak. Once I did this I found I still had a peak at 25hz and even a small one at 22hz. This also left me with a large peak at 36hz because of how narrow I had to keep the 32hz filter. Trying to widen the 32hz peak to grab the 36hz peak still cut my 25hz peak too much again. So I added a super narrow filter at 36hz. It took 4 filters from the beginning to the end of that area that was peaked.

Granted, I probably could have lived with the small 3db or so dip the wider bandwidth filter at 32hz would have created, but not the further cut created in my already ugly dip at 50hz. Why not just use another filter and try to get it as smooth as possible?

It all depends on the curve of your peak. No matter what bandwidth I tried to use with the one filter to tame that 32hz peak, I couldn't get it to smooth out unless I used more filters.

If you have a very smooth bell curved peak and your response is flat on both sides of the peak then one filter should work fine. It just doesn't hardly ever seem to be that simple though.

You can always try one filter for your peak and if it works then you are set....if not you may have to use 2 or more filters as I did.

Oh and btw, thanks Bob and Rick for the comps.

SP

15. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Thank you Sonnie for your hard work at making this so simple! My BFD is coming will arrive tomorrow and I will definitely be using your guide to help me out!

Thanks again!

16. Rick Radford

Sonnie,

I see what you're getting at now. I thought you were using multiple filters for one peak.

Thanks.

17. Larry Rasmussen

Sonnie, just wanted to add my thanks for your work.

I might just get off my butt now and order the BFD.

18. FrankD

FrankD Stunt Coordinator

Just wanted to say excellent post!!

19. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Great content on the site, but the site itself requires work. There is nothing even remotely complicated on the site so it should display on any HTML capable browser - but if what you do is save as html from word, no wonder it only works in IE... darn Microsoft.
    Go to http://www.tucows.com and check out their HTML editor listings. You might be most comfortable with the WYSIWYG editors, they hide the HTML code and let you work directly on the text.
    Even Netscape Composer, included with the free Netscape 4.7x, beats word when it comes to creating web pages that are standards compliant. Word is just horrible outside of using it to save documents directly to an intranet for internal company use or something.

20. Sonnie Parker

I couldn't agree with you more Kimmo.
    I have finally figured out how to filter Word so that I can use it to accomodate most browsers. I just haven't had time to do it yet. However, I will also investigate the WYSIWYG editors. This is the only reason I use Word. Actually I do like many of the features with Word also, but I understand its faults to an extent. I am not an html man. I know a little but not enough to develop.
    I will be working on this very soon.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Thanks!
    SP