BFD and Passive sub

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by DavidNu, Jan 8, 2004.

1. DavidNu

DavidNu Auditioning

Hi all, I'm thinking of getting a BFD to tame peaks from my SVS CSUltra. I am currently using a NAD 216THX amp to power the sub. My question is that according to the Snapbug guide, you have to calibrate the input level to the BFD with the sub level control on my processor, and once this has been done, you use the volume control on the sub to match levels with your other speakers. My problem is that my sub and NAD amp do not have volume controls, so how would I then match levels to my other speakers?? I currently have to use the processor's sub level control to match the level of the sub to my speakers, and if I follow the guide, I won't be able to do this!

Any advise appreciated.

2. Peter Mansell

David,

The idea behind the method outlined is to ensure that the BFD receives a strong enough signal to avoid problems with low level A/D conversion.

Like you I have a passive sub and amp with no volume control. It hasn't been a problem for me. At reference level with high level LFE signals my BFD is just below overload ... which is as it should be.

I believe that with an amp of moderate gain ... and a passive sub of moderate efficiency ... you wont have a problem.

3. DavidNu

DavidNu Auditioning

Thanks for the reply Peter,

So in theory I should still be able to use the processors sub level to match levels with my other speakers, without messing about too much with the input signal to the BFD.

David