What's new

BFD and Parametric EQ: noob questions (1 Viewer)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Wow, equalizers galore! You’re my kind of guy, Bill! :D

Okay, if you’re up for a little experiment, I’d very much like to see some readings from your system.

Run your pink noise source at about the level you normally operate the system, and take two readings with the SPL meter. Take the first reading A weighted, and the second reading C weighted.

After you post the numbers I’ll tell you what this is all about. :)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Bill Polley

Second Unit
Wayne, I will get back to you in a few months. As I said, I am in the process of building a theater in the basement of a new addition to my home. My home is a 105 yr old farmhouse. My second floor is done. The living room and dining room are done. The first floor bath needs tile. The den is drywalled but needs paint and trim. I hope to tear out the kitchen before Christmas, in fact it is my next project after I get the basement walls done. Tomorrow I am pouring the basement floor, and I hope to have the block laid by Sunday. (nice vacation huh?) I have been remodelling for about 9 years. Windows, siding, roof, all new plumbing, all new electrical, heat and ac, including ductwork. Sooooooo, This is the last big push!. Thank God I have a guy building my cabinets (I am NOT a woodworker!).

I do understand the difference between A and C weighting though. Flat response vs human hearing response.

And yes, I do believe in EQs. After all, EQs are used extensively in recording studios as well as live venues. Why not in the home?

I will also tell you Wayne, that I have learned a lot from your posts, and I always stop if I see one that you have posted.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Bill,

Wow, sounds like you’re really busy! Best of luck with your project. And thanks for the kind words – hard to believe someone actually goes out of their way to look at my posts. :)

Actually, the whole point of the “experiment” was to see if you actually had flat response, or a house curve. I have this little theory that folks who claim they don’t use/have/like a house curve actually have one, but maybe don’t know it.

Taking A and C readings should tell for sure: With A weighting the meter only “sees” response from 500Hz-10kHz. Switching to C is essentially full-range - adding response from 32Hz-500Hz.

So if someone really has flat response, the A and C readings theoretically should be about the same – maybe with a dB or two. If the C reading is higher than the A, then that means the low frequencies are at higher levels than the highs, so there is indeed a house curve.

Anyway, Bill, too bad I couldn’t make you my “guinea pig!” :D Guess I’ll have to try my little theory on someone else. :)

And yes, I do believe in EQs. After all, EQs are used extensively in recording studios...
Yeah, that’s my favorite line to drop on those “no EQ anywhere, ever” guys: “Hmm, you must have a really hard time finding source material!” :D

What kind of equalizers are you using?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Bill Polley

Second Unit
I have the BFD and a pair of Behringer Ultra Curve Pro digital EQs. I use 1 for the mains and 1 for the center. I was considering 1 more for the surrounds, but I am not sure I need them as the surrounds are all reflected (quadpolar) sound anyways. I purchased the Axiom Epic 80 system recently (without sub) and am not quite sure if I really need all the EQ. I tried the speakers and they sound fantastic, but I can't yet hook them up permanently.

On another note, ChadLB lives close by. He bought a Parasound amp after I told him that 85X5 Parasound is much more powerful than 100X5 Kenwood. He is interested in seeing my Outlaw 950 also, but I just can't demo now with the house in nearly complete disassembly. He recently bought a front projector, so I may need to hook up with him on some Saturday and take my stuff to his place. I am really leaning towards a projector for our theater.

There are many people here who have lived the decisions I am looking at, and many with good advice. There are probably 20 people here that I read whenever they post. It really helps with my decision making. So far I am very happy with every purchase. All of these have been after reading all sorts posts from people like yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks