What's new

BFD 1124 hookup? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_Wi

Stunt Coordinator
I am thinking about hooking up a Behringer Feedback Pro 1124 as a parametric eq for my sub. However, I need to connect it between the cd plater and receiver, since I don't have a separate lfe out. Will this cause any problems? I will be using it for cutting bands, not boosting, so I shuldn't overload the recivers inputs.

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
I don't think you want to do this. First, if the CD to receiver connection is digital, it is impossible. If its an analog stereo connection and you put the BFD "in line", your entire signal will undergo a A to D then D to A round trip conversion inside the BFD. This is something you can get away with if the BFD output is just low frequency headed for the sub amp, but a full range signal would likely get mangled a little bit. I suppose you could split the cd players analog output- send one limb to the BFD and the other to the receiver and use your sub amp to do the cross. You do have a powered sub ? more info needed on the topology of your system.

Jeff_Wi

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, yes I have the Dayton Titanic MKIII 10"/250w, which has both low and high level inputs. However, my Sony receiver (rather old/basic) does not have an LFE channel because it is only 2 channel. I am running the signal to the sub and out to the Samson mains using the speaker level inputs. I know, not the best approach, but it works quite well. I was proposing putting the BFD in-line between the cd/dvd player and receiver, say the cd in and keep the present connection to the speakers/sub. Is there a better approach that I am not aware of? I don't want to spend several hundred dollars for a new receiver right now.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Jeff,

We’ve had people here before that tried to use the BFD on their mains (which is essentially what you’d be doing with your proposed connection) and reported that it didn’t sound good. This is probably due, as Brian noted, to the BFD’s less-than-sellar AD/DA converters. I suppose just how noticeable it is depends on the quality of your equipment (which has nothing to do with it’s age, by the way).

You might try it out and see what happens – just make sure you can return it before you buy.
Your best bet is probably analog parametrics. Options are indeed limited if you’re not wanting to spend “several hundred” on a new receiver, but it’s not hard to pick up the Rane PE-15 on eBay for $50-100 each (They’re mono units, so you’ll need two). However, they only have two filters available for low bass.

Rane’s PE-17 is much more flexible with 5-bands available for sub EQing. They do demand a higher price on eBay, though – a pair will probably set you back around $300.

But the nice thing about buying them on eBay is that when you do get a new receiver which allows you to use the BFD, you’ll be able to sell the Ranes for about what you paid for them.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks