BFD 1124 arrived - setup tips

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff peterson, Dec 8, 2001.

1. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

Just got my BFD for $134 shipped from www.lentines.com (a B&M music store in Cleveland). I'm trying to tame a 50 Hz peak. I also understand (from Wayne?) that I should gradually bump up as I approach 20 Hz. I'm working with a Yammy 2092 and an SVS 25-31PC.
    Hookup was a breeze, with RCA cables and Radio Shack (part 274-884) monaural 1/4" jack adapter (phono plug to 1/4" phone jack, gold plated). I also used a cheater plug on the power cord so I didn't have to worry about ground induced hum.
    People have spoken about the complexity of dialing in this parametric equalizer. I agree it is tricky but I think within the capabilities of any of the subscribers to the HTF.
    As I see it, the whole key is understanding that only the frequency setting actually displays a frequency. The bandwidth and fine buttons really are in 1/60 of an octive. The fine button moves you up or down in from the preset frequencies stored in the frequency button.
    I think the biggest confusion is that the numbers for fine and bandwidth aren't in HZ but in 1/60 octave. For example, if I set the frequency button to it's preset of 40 HZ, if the fine button reads +6, it means my frequency is really centered at 43 Hz. In order to know this, you must follow BFD's chart in their manual. If I want the bandwidth around 43 to be from 41 to 45, I would set it to 8; which is really 8/60 octave. Again, you must use the BFD chart to determine this.
    My point is that once you understand the above (and it's easier to understand once you're doing it on the BFD) the whole thing falls into place.
    Another tip is when you're storing your changes, you press the store button twice. One press starts the preset number flashing; you must press store again to really save it. This second store must be pressed while the preset number is still flashing.
    Hope this helps, I'm waiting for my Stryke CD101 (www.stryke.com) to come in so I can really dial this puppy in.

2. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

If you have access to a PC with a joystick port (or a parallel port MIDI adapter) you can connect the BFD to a MIDI cable and setup the whole thing from the PC screen.
    Pretty cool, the software;
    BFD sw
    I use this BFD sw running at the same time with the ETF5 RTA software and completely tune the room's low end response right from my notebook screen.
    Then I can save the frequency graphs for specific settings and even save the BFD settings for a later reload, etc.
    BruceD

3. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

For the novice, it's easier start off using one of the preset parametric bands. #4 is 1/3rd octave, #5 is 2/3rd octave.

4. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

5. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

The consensus should be that you cut/boost depending on where/what is needed in your system. Since most systems roll off with lower frequencies, that's usually one place where boost is helpful

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    If you’re referring to “house curve,” Jeff, then yes you want a rise in response as the frequencies go lower. This sounds more pleasing to the ear than flat response. The amount of rise is room-dependent. Smaller rooms need more than larger rooms. I found that things sounded better when the curve flattened out or tapered off at around 30-40Hz. Otherwise there was a lot of annoying, extraneous super-low freq energy with most program sources. Of course, this could have been a function of my subs and my room – as always, use your ears to judge.

Happy Holidays,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

7. Mike Dr

Mike Dr Stunt Coordinator

Did any of you get the MIDI control to work? For some reason it wouldnt work for me, and the software isnt robust enough to say why or to tell u what the status is. Also, am I supposed to set the BFD to 1d (i think that's the letter)?.. any tips on the whole MIDI deal?