BF1942: Recomend to me a joystick

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeH1, Oct 8, 2002.

1. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Yes I'm hooked on this game. I *think* I'm at a disadvantage using a mouse and keyboard. For example, whilst in the tank blowing up the enemy I can never turn the turret fast enough to get the guy hammering on me 90 degrees to the left. To make the turret go 360 I need to move my mouse, lift it and move again lift it...etc. Probably have to do this 10 times to make a full circle. And by then I'm waiting to respawn. Perhaps theres a setting to help?

Any suggestions on a decent joystick around the $100.00-$150.00 CDN price bracket? Will it really improve my game? Keep in mind this will be used for BF1942. Not that it should make much of a difference in selecting a joystick for a specific game but I don't know that for sure.

Thanks in advance

2. Allan Petersen

Allan Petersen Stunt Coordinator

I use a Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital for BF1942 and I can tell you that it makes a world of difference. It's an old stick and there are plenty of fancier ones out there, but it gets the job done. I don't know if Logitech makes that particular model anymore, though.

You'll probably be best off looking for a comfortable Microsoft or Logitech joystick. Don't go for fancy design but choose one that's good and solid. It's best to use a joystick that sits well on the desk rather than something that slides all over the place.

I'd think you can get a good joystick in the pricerange you mentioned.

3. Dave Sabo

Dave Sabo Stunt Coordinator

Well since my old MS Sidewinder wouldn't work with BF1942 I bit the bullet and picked up a new stick. After I researched as much as I could I ended up with the Cyborg 3D USB Gold. I wasn't interested in force feedback for a stick, although I have a FF wheel and it's awesome! It's a good feeling stick and works well, does everything I wanted. I picked it up at Circuit City for $30 US.
    Recommended it to a friend in the same boat with BF1942, he picked one up yesterday and loves it too. Despite it not being listed, works fine with XP Pro for me, just download drivers from the Saitek site.

4. Shaun Gonzalez

Shaun Gonzalez Auditioning

Just as a heads up, in case you decide to stick with the mouse...

You can adjust the sensitivity for the different modes (common, Infantry, Air, Land/Sea) through the options menu. I've got my sensitivity for Infantry, Air, and Land/Sea all set to different levels. It allows you to crank the sensitivity for your tank turret without messing up your infantry aiming or piloting. It's also a lot easier than switching back and forth between a joystick and the mouse.