What's new

Beyond Good & Evil...Wow! (1 Viewer)

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter

I have the PS2 version Morgan (couldn't pass it up for 10 bucks), and I have yet to notice any major issuses. Ubisoft has made one incredible game that is fun for anyone.

-Dean-

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I've always wondered why people need convincing on something that doesn't seem to interest them. If you don't want to play it, and it doesn't appeal to you....great. I don't think people will really lose sleep over it. You asked to be convinced , yet there is a whole f**king thread with nothing but praises in it (and a few thread farts). What more do you want?

-Dean-

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Beyond Good and Evil is *anything* but 'cartoony.' If you're unaware of the plot, it can be basically stated as 'you're an independant photographer who learns a terrible secret about an elite gov't military unit, infiltrates their bases, and gets photographic proof.'

It is one of the most well-presented games I've played in a while; at no point does it break it's own story or metaphor. There's no nodding and winking to the audience, no guilty glances into the camera, just 9 or so solid hours of quality story.

John Doran

Screenwriter

ain't that the truth; the one where the alpha-sections are chasing jade over the rooftops and the sound stops and all you can hear is her breathing as she runs, is just unbelievable. the seamless blend of gameplay and gorgeously executed cutscene....

BG&E is far and away the most satisfying game i've played on the xbox. playing it made me happy.

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
I picked it up on PC because of this thread (well, Morgan's post) and I'm enjoying it so far. Taking pictures of new animals is fun and at 1280x1024 it looks amazing. How is "cartoony" a negative? Not everything has to be photo-realistic to be impressive graphically.

And yes, Zelda WW had some very boring parts, specifically collecting the triforce and any extra items you wanted to get while sailing. Anything not on land, come to think of it.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
How many cartoony games are there? Zelda? This? Looney Tunes games?

Honestly, if a game is good, it's good, regardless of the genre. You have to approach BG&E with that attitude.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter

You can issue simple commands to a male partner (one of which is not human), but at least at the point in the game where I am, you don't directly control them.

Jake Gove

Second Unit
Based on the raves here, I just picked up the XBOX version for 14.99 at Best Buy (used one of the gamer gift card coupons). Just buy a gamer gift card, put 5 bucks on it, then cut out the coupon for $5 off any game or accessory 19.99 and up.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter

Why does it matter? Do you have a problem with female protagonists? If this is the case, I can not respond in a way that won't get me smacked by the Ban-Hammer.

-Dean-

JamieD

Supporting Actor

Or you could just answer his question. David, maybe you can find the answer on gamefaqs.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter

His question was answered here. I just wanted to know where he was going with it. He answered my question and now I know why he asked his. :)

-Dean-

Alanna

Second Unit

Wow that just seems a little weird and sexist even. IF *I* had such weird views I would never have been able to get into gaming in the first place. How many female characters were there before Lara Croft came out? Not a whole lot. Yes I remember playing as Athena (NES), or Samus (didn't know she was a chick til the end of the game though so what difference did it make??). You had to play as ALL dudes. Its awesome so many "chick" heroes are being cranked out today. I enjoy playing as a female character, scantily clad (Miss Bloodrayne) or no (Kya: Dark Lineage), and for any male watching, he gets the bonus of the female eye candy shaking it on the screen. If a game is good I don't really care what the character looks like (although Oddworld DID turn me off with its hideous character designs so I guess there is that which deflates my argument a little). Anyway... I digress. BG&E is a great game.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member

Your preference of course but I heartily disagree. Mona's level (and subsequent sniping off of enemies to get Max to safety) was one of the most fun in the game. A good number of the later sequences paled in comparison IMHO.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Personally I like playing as a female character, because then I get to tell THEM what to do for a change. In stark contrast to my real-life... :frowning:

(kidding, of course)...(er, kinda) :)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
As little OT, but an interesting anecdote...

A few years ago, when I just got a PS2, my older brother had a female friend over while I was playing Tekken Tag Tournament and she was saying how the scantily clad female characters objectified women. As soon as she saw Jin with his shirt off, she said, "Damn! He's hot!"

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Warning

I am going to say this only once.

You guys can get pretty viscious here. That will
stop immediately. I don't want any of the problems
that we had months ago that nearly closed down this
forum area.

Secondly....

Anybody that continues to harrass DEAN MARTIN (that
IS his real name) or DAVID MARTIN (the name we were
forced to change it to) will find himself looking
from the oustide in.

I hope I make myself clear on this. We'll be watching
this thread.

James T

Screenwriter
I saw this thread and had to check out the game. I'm here days later and it looks like I missed something...

Anyways, I'm not too far into the game. I first tried it for about 5 minutes and then I had to go. When I reloaded the game, I realized that there was no save point, auto save or even a manual save point where I stopped playing, so I turned it off in frustration as I couldn't even skip the cut scenes. Yesterday, I tried it out and I'm glad I did. This game does remind me a lot of Zelda. The look, controls and even the map reminds me of Zelda(which is not a bad thing). I think I may be more addicted to the ingame air hockey-like game more than the Knights of the Old Republic card game. And that's pretty scary considering I spent hours just playing Prazzak(sp?) both loosing and winning credits.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks