Bewitched-true black and white?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by ScottR, Jun 29, 2005.

1. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

Are we sure that the B&W sets of Bewitched are the true B&W or just the colorized versions with the color turned down? I ask this because some scenes have really flat shadowing and a very slight tint to them (almost pinkish instead of white). I know that the opening credits come from a color source. Someone said that they turned the color off of the colorized versions and they have the same exact greyscale as the B&W sets.

2. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Cinematographer

Joe
    It wouldn't surprise me one bit!

And my disgust increases by the hour ... [​IMG]

3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I don't think so; the colorized versions have an extra copyright on them. In addition, I used the screenshot comparison on the DVD Talk review to do a little test:
    [​IMG]
    The black and white version is clearly different than the colorized version with the color turned off.

4. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

Thanks for that Adam......it was really nice of you to provide visual evidence. [​IMG]

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

No problem. I'm not 100% on the color version being from the DVD, but I assume so based on its context in the review. I know watching the B&W DVD looks like the first image, though. It LOOKS black and white of nature; doesn't get muddled in the mid-tones like grayscaled black and white tends to.

6. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

The most telling detail is Samantha's "widow's peak." It doesn't exist on the last two pictures.

7. Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

Also, the colorized version have the optional language audio tracks(Spanish and Portuguese)that the b&w does not. This was done for syndicating the colorized episodes. If the sets were the same, then they should both have the same audio tracks.[​IMG]