What's new

Bewitched to the Big Screen... (1 Viewer)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Tom, I don't think Piper would do the dry comedy as well. Think part Grace Winterbourne, part Tess Carlisle and part Ouiser Boudreaux.

Tom Rhea

Second Unit
Tom, I don't think Piper would do the dry comedy as well.
The thought of Catherine Martell having supernatural powers (and a desperate yen to screw Durwood) fills me with delight. Plus, she would handle a supporting role better than Ms. McClaine. As much as I like Shirley, I think that's what we'd get -- Shirley, not Endora.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Jim Carrey made mention of 'taking a meeting' with Kidman and Columbia Pictures regarding the upcoming Bewitched movie. More info here. There's an audio file of the conversation in which he mentions the film.
I think these two would be flawless choices for the flick. I'm not ecstatic about another TV-to-movie movie but this one seems to be starting out on the right foot.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The problem is, Darren is not a semi-serious role. In classic comedy terms, he's the straight man (in other words, he's Abbott, not Costello) and Carrey just does not have it in him.
I don't know, I think he could play a Dick York-style Darren very well. When Darren is the straight man, York always had all sorts of crazy expressions which I think Carrey would hone in on really well. Kidman/Carrey would make a great pair-up with the right script and the right director.

It can't be a parody though, the comedy should be derived from the concept not poking fun at the concept itself. As cute a gag as it would be for the Darren switchup midway through, I'd stick with one for this reason.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Jim Carrey does seem to be very interested in stretching his acting ability. He's done drama. The straight man in comedy would be a good place to go next.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I think it would be hilarious to switch actors in the Darren role halfway through the movie. And not have any of the other characters notice it!
SERIOUSLY, when this movie was first opted(about 4 years ago), they were going to do this with Bily Crystal and Jerry Seinfeld as the two darrens.

They still should do this, great idea.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Much has gone on with this movie since this thread last had a posting. The movie started filming this week and here is a link to some of the first pictures from the set:

This movie is not a direct remake of the series. It's more of a reimagining. This is how the story goes:
Jack Wyatt (Will Ferrell) is an out of work actor who is going to try and revitalize his career by doing a TV remake of Bewitched. He bumps into the witch Isabel (Nicole Kidman) at a bookstore (which is the scene depicted in the above picture) and he asks her to play the part of Samantha in the remake. Isabel accepts as she has fallen for Jack. Meanwhile she is trying to live like a mortal against the wishes of her father Nigel (Michael Caine). He starts to change his mind about her lifestyle choice when he meets Iris Smythson (Shirley Maclaine), the actress who will portray Endora in the remake. In Isabel's quest to learn the mortal lifestyle she somehow conjures up the "real" Uncle Arthur (Steve Carrell), Aunt Clara (Joan Plowright) and Dr. Bombay (rumored to be Fred Willard but possibly the original actor Bernard Fox).
Nora Ephron, her sister Delia, and Adam McKay wrote the screenplay and Nora directs.
Amy Sedaris has been cast as Mrs. Kravitz and Richard Kind is Mr. Kravitz. Steven Colbert (The Daily Show) also plays a role in the show as the writer of the Bewitched remake.
The movie is set to be released July 8, 2005.
I'm excited for this movie! I like that it's not a direct remake but more of a tribute to the original. I read a copy of one of the final drafts and there will be spots in the movie where clips from the original series (which, by the way is celebrating it's 40th Anniversary today) will be seen.

****UPDATE******
I just read on Reuters that David Alan Grier has signed on to be in this movie, though it doesn't say which part.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I watched this show as a kid all the time, loved it. I for one welcome a big screen version. Maybe not something I'd go to the theater and see but I'd buy the dvd. Kidman would be great in the role.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Here is a link to some new pictures from the set. They are quite romantic.
You must type in "Nicole Kidman" or "Will Ferrell" in the search engine to find them.
This pic is my favorite though:

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"I somehow can't see Kidman as Samantha"

I think shes perfect for the role.

I'll watch it one day on cable or rental.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
But she isn't really playing Samantha, is she? I thought she's playing an actress who's playing Samantha.

And the words "romantic" and "Will Ferrell" never belong in the same reference. *shudder*

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Yes, she does play a witch named Isabel but Isabel plays Samantha on a TV remake...so she has to twitch her nose, plus I believe Isabel starts twitching her nose anyway to activate her magic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks