What's new

Bewitched Season 8? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
David, great pics! Thanks,
That 1st one of EM is a stunner :cool:
I'm just happy that this entire series is getting its DVD release. There's a lot of other shows out there (esp Sony) that are stalled.
Does anyone know when the 1st BW set was released? I wonder how log it took to complete the DVD series for BW.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Bewitched on DVD, Release Info, News at TVShowsOnDVD.com has a listing of every season's release date.
So with S.1 being released on 6/21/05 and S.8 most likely being released on 7/14/09 it will be four years and three weeks to get the whole series out, which is about 2 seasons per year. Not bad! And the spin-off "Tabitha" was also released in that time, something I would've thought would NEVER happen!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the release dates, David. You're right, that's great for Sony (4 yrs). It showed Sony that BW has been a cash cow for them.
I still can't get over how these BW shows look on the Plasma set upconverted. Awesome.
I was also very surprised at "Tabitha's" release. I have that one in the collection. I thought it was a fun show but it didn't last long back then. I thought that Lisa Hartman was a great cast for the part and Bob Urich "pre-VEGA$" was good in the boss'es role.

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau
David*P said:
Martin, I just found out about a French release that seems to include 3 episodes per disc, but you get a BW "magazine" with each disc, per my LIMITED French translation! Can you tell us more about what this is?
Well, that's really funny! I saw that too on You Tube, just yesterday. It was posted by a Italian friend of mine, Nicolo. (BewitchedNick)
I was really surprised to see that product that doesn't have a Sony Tristar logo on it... The price is good! For only 6 € you get 2 DVD (6 episodes) and a magazine about the series.
I'll tell you more tonight as I am in a hurry now. Happy Easter everyone!

Jdcrackers

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Hey guys is Bewitched Season 8 still coming out this July? Or is that just wishful thinking? What extras do you think will be enclosed? I am so excited about season the European Trips... I love Sam and Darrin in Loch Ness...
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau
David*P said:
you get a BW "magazine" with each disc, per my LIMITED French translation! Can you tell us more about what this is?
Everything you said is correct, David. Your French is good! :emoji_thumbsup:
Altaya is a magazine store and they are bringing a new product: a magazine on Bewitched including DVDs! From what I read, that magazine focuses on every aspect of the show. There must be some nice pictures in it. I'd love to see that.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Volume 1 has an introduction price of 3 €, volumes 2 & 3 are priced at 6 € each... but they don't mention any price for the next volumes.
I don't care about the DVDs because I already have them, but I would be glad to get my hands on those magazines...;)

Jdcrackers

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Martin have you heard anything about the newest BW dvd release? I am so excited?
Also I heard this rumor that BW has 4 never before seen episodes... true or not? Thanks Martin

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jude Cormier
Where are those rumors coming from?? there are NO lost BW or unseen BW episodes. There was one script that was never produced as an actual episode during the Dick York era about the automotive industry. Beings that Chevrolet was a sponsor at that point, the script was scrapped in fear of offending the sponsor!

Jdcrackers

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Jude, I am not sure where the rumours are coming from but different people have said that, but it is probably wishful thinking... I just hope that Season 8 comes out this July... any word on the cover art? I hope it has Liz with her long gorgeous hair!!
Jude I also heard that Liz shot 4 episodes for Season 9 so that is probably not true and it may be where these people are getting the idea that 4 never before seen episode are existing somewhere... but it would be nice

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Jdcrackers said:
Jude I also heard that Liz shot 4 episodes for Season 9 so that is probably not true and it may be where these people are getting the idea that 4 never before seen episode are existing somewhere... but it would be nice
Absolutely not true. There are no S9 or any other unseen eps.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
MBrousseau said:
I don't care about the DVDs because I already have them, but I would be glad to get my hands on those magazines...
I hope they end up on eBay, or even better, that Sony USA releases the same thing!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
David*P said:
Agnes Moorehead/Endora:

htf_imgcache_39662.jpeg

Again, colorized but placed on the left side. There aren't very many photos of AM from the 8th season probably because she was getting so sick.

Did she have a temporary recovery after Bewitched? She appeared on Broadway as Gigi's aunt in the Broadway musical version of Gigi in 1973-1974. The show was not a success but I don't think she left early unlike Irene Ryan ( Granny on the Beverly Hillbillies) in Pippin on Broadway about the same time.

You can hear Ms Moorehead, briefly, in a clip from the OBC of "Gigi" in a song called The Contract on Amazon.
She doesn't sing, she talks.
http://www.amazon.com/Gigi-1974-Orig.../dp/B000003FU3

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Garysb said:
Did she have a temporary recovery after Bewitched? She appeared on Broadway as Gigi's aunt in the Broadway musical version of Gigi in 1973-1974. The show was not a success but I don't think she left early unlike Irene Ryan ( Granny on the Beverly Hillbillies) in Pippin on Broadway about the same time.
You can hear Ms Moorehead, briefly, in a clip from the OBC of "Gigi" in a song called The Contract on Amazon.
She doesn't sing, she talks.
Amazon.com: Gigi: The 1974 Original Broadway Cast Recording: Frederick Loewe, Alan Jay Lerner, Alfred Drake, Karen Wolfe, Maria Karnilova, Daniel Massey, Agnes Moorehead: Music
I wouldn't so much call it a recovery as just AM pushing through her illness and weariness.
According to Charles Tranberg's AWESOME AM biography "I Love the Illusion", she was admitted to Methodist Hospital in Feb 1972 for tests which came back with a diagnosis of cancer. She only told a few friends and went to stay with her mother in Reedsburg, WI and had to be readmitted to the hospital for the flu in April. She also had surgery there, presumably for the cancer, which is when she received the notice that BW had been cancelled. Up to that point she believed she was going back at the very end of spring to start filming the 9th season.
She filmed a few minor roles in some TV movies over the summer and in the fall and winter participated in a revival of "Don Juan in Hell" with Ricardo Montalban, where she seemed to regain strength.
In Spring 1973 she filmed a small role for the TV movie "Frankenstein: The True Story" (available on DVD). She also did the voice of Goose in "Charlotte's Web" along with Paul Lynde as Templeton the Rat.
Then in the winter of '73 she began doing Gigi but her close friends said she was very tired and ill through the whole thing. In fact, she checked into the Mayo Clinic, where they told her the cancer was terminal and she began chemo in the spring of '74 when she passed away on April 30, 1974.

Jdcrackers

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I Have a question for you guys...since Bewitched and the actors signed on to do more seasons and Liz decided not to come back weren't the actors pissed? I mean that means they lost their job right? Did they think about replacing Liz with another actress? i know that would have been crazy, but these are just things I am wondering because David just mentioned AM was going to go back to shoot season 9 in spring 72... so weren't they upset, like David White, Agnes Moorehead, Erin Murphy, Sargent, etc?

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Mike, I think it's just the nature of the business and they were all professionals who had been around the block a long time by then. I think they were probably more disappointed then angry. They could tell with the ratings that the show was winding down anyway. While Erin Murphy said she was disappointed, I bet Sargent and Moorehead probably weren't too surprised, given Liz's demeanor during the 8th Season. Plus 8 years was a VERY long run in that day and age.
And I know they never considered replacing Liz, and not just because it was her and Bill Asher's company that produced the show. I don't believe anybody connected with the show believed for a single moment it could go on without her. Or should. She was Bewitched.

Jdcrackers

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Okay I understand that, but if they were under contract with ABC to do more seasons didn't they get sued? Just curious, I know today if you sign on you can get in trouble. So regarding Liz not coming back I was wandering. so if any one knows about the rules back then let me know. thanks

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau
Jdcrackers said:
Okay I understand that, but if they were under contract with ABC to do more seasons didn't they get sued?
I can't say it for sure but, maybe TV contracts were different in those times. I don't know... I mean, it wasn't the only popular TV show to be cancelled at the very last minute. Same thing happened to the cast of Irwin Allen's Lost in Space. There was supposed to be a 4th season but right in the middle of summer of 68, they have learned on radio that the show was cancelled by CBS. Everybody was in shock. No job, all of a sudden, for the entire cast! I never heard about sueing CBS for that reason.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
They weren't under contract to ABC. ABC was the network that aired the show, they were not the employer. That was Screen Gems. And performer contracts allow for series to end for many reasons. Just having a contract for a series does not guarantee that the plug can't be pulled on the series by the producers. One has nothing to do with the other. The contract isn't a guarantee of a job. It only outlines certain facts for as long as the job is in existence.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Besides, didn't Bewitched's ratings slip... well, plummet during season 8?

That could've been a factor. Besides Elizabeth Montgomery not wanting to come back for a 8th season, maybe ABC didn't want to fund a show that wasn't performing as well as it had been the year before?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks