What's new

Bewitched Season 6?? (1 Viewer)

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau
Well! Got mine today as a birthday present from friends.
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Actually, it is the canadian edition with bilingual box.

At last, we are fortunate enough to get french dub on Bewitched for the first time! Among all the 3 foreign languages on this set, French audio is in better shape than the others. Of course, the original english version is terrific! Sounds crisp and clean, especially for the musics and sound effects.

The picture quality is good too with some episodes that has the same look as season 5, though.

Hope you'll all get yours very soon, guys! ;) :emoji_thumbsup:

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I just purchased mine at Target and haven't had time to actually pop it in to have a look...but I do have tomorrow off work so I WILL devote most of the day to watching BW:)

But as far as the packaging goes, this set is the FIRST time in six seasons that ALL pictures used actually come from the season they are supposed to!!! AND the episode writeups are all correct!! Kudos to Sony then!!! Now if we could only get them to release excellent extras!

Jdcrackers

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I got mine too and my friend who works at the record/DVD store got 10 copies in last week and I absolutely love it!! I notice something different about Endora in this season...Is it her hair? I think with this season things start changing in a good way... So I guess now we will probably see Season 7 in 11 months... LOL

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Regulus, I'm glad you ended your question with a LOL

So I've watched all of Disc 1 and I'm now on Disc 2 and just finished watching "Darrin the Warlock", one of my FAVORITE episodes.

It is FANTASTIC seeing the DS episodes in crystal clear clarity but even better seeing "new" scenes!!!

For instance, I've never seen the patio scene from "Samantha and the Beanstalk" when Endora pops in and it's quite funny! It also seems that the very beginning scene of when Samantha is climbing the beanstalk and reaches the top and accidentally pulls the leaf off is never shown.

Another "new" scene seems to be the one from "A Bunny for Tabitha" is when Uncle Arthur pops the balloons and tells his horrible joke and then unpops them.

I'm so excited to be watching these!!!!

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

Mine finally arrived from Amazon today, alas...I'm only on Season 3, so I won't be getting to this one for quite a while, but I'm also thrilled to have this in hand! :)

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jude Cormier

Mine arrived today!! Sooner than promised
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
I've just had a mini-marathon-skipping only "Samantha's Ceasar Salad" (was never a fave of mine). Loving all the "new" scenes and boy did they use some of the same bit players quite often in this new season. Poor Phyllis Stephens--first they switched husbands on her, now, sons--no wonder she was always having a sick headache :laugh:

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I've finished discs 1 and 2. It is SO great to see the Dick Seargent episodes again. He's my favorite Darrin. I know, most people like Dick York better, but in my own defense, the Dick Seargent years are the years I saw as a kid when they originally aired so Seargent is the Darrin that I remember most. And I just like the way he says 'Sam!' better than York.

I really hope that we get the last two seasons soon. I really love this show and can't wait to have the entire thing.

One of the best shows ever on TV.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Brian,

That's a pretty good "Sam" comparison :emoji_thumbsup: I'd never thought about that comparison until your post. I'm one of the "DY" fans vs DS but that's for the same reason as you. I first watched BW in the black/white years with DY as Darrin. I thought that DS did a good job in the role considering who he replaced as the original Darrin.

I'd have to give DS the vote for the "Sam" contest :)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
When I was a kid, I preferred Sargent. He was the one I really remember seeing first in prime time. And he didn't yell as much at Sam. His anger was more quiet, which is less threatening to a kid, I think. I remember watching York on the ABC daytime reruns, and almost being scared of him at times when he was going off on Samantha.

Now, I far and away prefer York. I think his is a truly great comic performance, and he should have received Emmy recognition for it. However, watching S6 again, I really feel that DS gets a bum rap. He did fine. He just had a completely different type of personality, which led to a different take on the character. He did his thing well. It's just too bad that the writing really started to take a downturn in his years.

I can't wait for the last 2 seasons to come out. S7 has one of my most favorite Sargent performances: "Samantha's Old Man." Great episode, and always so butchered these days.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
I like both Darrins and can't choose a favorite. Dick Sargent is the first Darrin I saw as well. I think Both Darrins were fine but Dick York had the benifit of having the scripts that were before the tread on the show started to wear.

BTW, don't you love the semi-clear look at Liz Montgomery's double in Serena Stops The Show. You can see the face of the double as Samantha walking out of the kitchen behind Liz as Serena quickly moving behind one of the actors before she's seen too clearly.

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jude Cormier
I remember watching Sargent in primetime, complete with the "Oscar Mayer and Company Presents.....Elizabeth Montgomery in.....Bewitched!" Rewatching Season 6, I'm finding myself less judgmental towards DS, but rather the laziness of the writers for finding new things for the characters to do. I used to belong to an e-mail BW loop (David P was amongst them at one time) and we came up with idea after idea. Pity we weren't there back then LOL Watched "Daddy Comes for a Visit" and "Darrin the Warlock",I think this was one time where revisiting a situation earlier done by York (in the episode "A is for Aardvark") really suited Sargent well.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Once in a while, they did a remake that I prefer over the original, such as "Samantha's Secret Spell." I also prefer "A Chance on Love," even though I love Cheryl Holdridge in the original.

But to me it's really the dialogue that went downhill, not so much the plots. I don't care that they remade plots, but when the dialogue was reduced to the level of bad vaudeville jokes and put-downs (especially between Darrin & Endora), that's when I really miss the glory days. And the writing seemed to be aimed more and more for kids, and not for adults, which was a shame. I think by pandering too much to one of their demographics, they lost the other one.

One episode I love from S6 is "What Makes Darrin Run?" It's one of the last remaining eps truly aimed at the adults. And, like in the glory days, Endora's spell wasn't just meant to wreak any old havoc, but to illuminate and exploit a specific human quality, in this case, ambition. I love that it reveals something about Darrin: her spell gave him ambition, but he took that and used it to try to stab Larry in the back. That came from him, not Endora. And I love that Sam let him dig his own way out of the mess because she was so disgusted by his behavior. :laugh:

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
There is discussion on one of the Bewitched fan sites, that the sound is odd on this season...the music is too loud/dialogue too low in volume, and other problems....is this the case??

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I haven't watched the whole set yet, but I noticed it in episode, "Tabitha's Very Own Samantha." The sound effects and musical cues were much louder than the dialog. However, I also watched "Taking a Chance on Love" and the sound was fine.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I just finished watching the set yesterday and I have to say that I enjoy DS much more now than I did before. I truly found some of his episodes very funny and it was because of his performance.

I didn't notice the sound problems people have been talking about on other sites.

I loved all the "new" scenes!! It really was like watching new episodes!

I hope Sony doesn't take as long for S.7 to come out as it did for this set. Season 7 is my favorite mainly for the Salem episodes but also for a few others like "Mother-in-Law of the Year" and "Return of Darrin the Bold".

Jdcrackers

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I just noticed in the little booklet that says when the DVD sets are going to be released that they mentioned Season 5 of I Dream of Jeannie... does anyone know when this will be released? BW season 5 came out in July 2007 and IDOJ came out in Sept... so I am guessing the final season of IDOJ will be out in July or August...

Also, I wonder what colour Sony will choose for BW Season 7? I am hoping Yellow or Orange... that fits the early 70s colour... it will be nice if it's released this year... ;)

Jdcrackers

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Whoever made the comment they used a lot of the same people this season was right!! I noticed with Mr. Bliss Sr. and Jr. in Darrin the Warlock they look about the same age... John Fiedler went on to do some work in John Waters Movies later like in Pecker, Cecil B. Demented and Serial Mom.... I just finished all 30 episodes today in random order...

I think Season 6 was a great season... some of the remakes were a little different which was good!! I can't wait until Seasons 7 and 8 and 9 come out...

By the way it was sad that Gladys and Louise weren't in that many episodes... maybe 3 or 4 to say the most... Serena was in a few...

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jude Cormier

That'd be me, Mike! LOL. I was noticing while watching more episodes that Louise wasn't in any of the ones I watched so far. I wondered if Kasey Rogers was busy with other TV shows at the time. The previous season, she appeared at least three times on The Lucy Show. And Gladys seemed to be stuck in the "sign my stupid petition" mode LOL. "Samantha's Curious Cravings" and "Samantha's Lost Weekend" would make a great theme hour! I loved watching Darrin for once give a good comeback to Samantha, since he didn't have powers to respond otherwise.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
I'm really enjoying Season 6 more than in the past and for those who refuse to buy s6 because of DS--you are really losing out!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks